Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Philosophy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:37 am 

Hi guys....

Some people would never have fallen in love if they had never heard of love (La Rochefuouclauld)

What does he mean...pls discuss this and let me know your view.

kidy

Post subject: Re: Philosophy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

kidy wrote:
Some people would never have fallen in love if they had never heard of love (La Rochefuouclauld)

Kidy, in my opinion this sounds as if La R is talking about a romantic. The idea of love is "as" if not "more" important than love. Having decided to fall in love they set about going through the motions because it sounds wonderful and maybe fall in love in the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:32 am 

In my opinion, I think it's very easy to fall in love, whether you've heard of it or not. However, I don't think you actually call it love if you've never heard of love.

And the mome raths outgrabe.
-from Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carroll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:09 am 
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate

I don't think anyone is arguing that it's is impossible or even unlikely to fall in love without ever having heard of love, just that there exist people who only fall in love because they like the concept and go searching for love instead of letting love find them. Did that make sense?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:22 am 

I think that makes sense, Eliea. I guess the question boils down to what a person's definition of love is.

Only you can say when you're really in love, and nobody else.

And the mome raths outgrabe.
-from Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carroll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:07 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think it refers to the idea of being in love with being in love. Some people dream of falling in love, for the sake of it.

It is like anything, if someone hadn't said that time exists, would we still be late?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:19 am 
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate

Moshei wrote:
It is like anything, if someone hadn't said that time exists, would we still be late?

I think we could find a way to be late without knowledge of time. At least I could. I'm very good at it. :P

But other than that...

Yeah, it does seem to be a similar concept.

Post subject: Love
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:52 am 

Hello,
I find this very interesting. Correct me if I am wrong but, you are asking in essence: Can one be in love without knowing of the concept of Love as "we" define it?
I would like to think that Plato has the best basic idea regarding universalities...everyone everywhere understands some concept of love. One culture might define it dually as something as banal as, "Wow, I love the taste of Chocolate" and something as deep and penetrating as, "'Till death do us part." While others may identify their moniker for love as purely in the "death do us part" realm assigning other terms for the more mundane endearments. Refer to Shakespear, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Love is universal. To love is human. It is chemical, physical, emotional and irrational. Love has no eyes nor ears of its own, save the person inffected, hence the cliche, "blinded by love." The real question should be, not, can one truly understand love if not told of its existence but why, in a world inundated with the concepts of "love" is it so elusive, misused and misunderstood by so many?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:12 am 

In my opinion it means that some people only believe in what they have read on books and they are not able to discover new things and new feelings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It's like that scene in Anna Kerinina. ( Part five, chap 11 )

Anna has deserted her husband to live with her lover Vronsky. She still thinks he loves her. Actually, Vronsky is getting bored with his life with Anna, but he still pretends to love her out of duty.

They go to visit an artist's studio with a friend called Groci. The artist shows them the painting he is working on. It's called The Admonition of Pilate. It shows Christ standing before Pilate.

Groci complains that Christ looks too human. His divinity is not shown. "Is that God or not God?" Groci complains. "The unity of impression is destroyed."

Anna fails to catch Groci's point, and this leads to her downfall.

Tolstoy is saying that the noblest things, love, truth, justice, honor, are invisible and therefore too often poorly understood. It is only by raising our minds to the Source of these things that we can come to understand them.

"Help yourself. God will help you" ( Aide toi. Dieu t'aidera. )

--- Joan of Arc