Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Define love!!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:49 pm 

How you define love in your best and sweetest way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:03 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

just posted this in quotation talk, but might as well spread the love

"there is so much evil in this world, so much pain. all you need to do is open a newspaper or turn on a television, and this pain becomes a reality, and one wonders why this evil has yet to decimate us all. but there is one thing that keeps us going. love guides our way like a beacon. it makes us forget the hardships in our past, the broken hearts that have always haunted us, the heart that will inevitably break after this love, and the next. it is love that keeps us alive."

-j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:18 am 

A lady of 47 who has been married 27 years and has six children knows what love really is and described it for me like this: "Love is what you've been through with somebody."~James Thurber

But true love is a durable fire
In the mind ever burning;
Never sick, never old, never dead,
From itself never turning.~Author unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:45 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
"Love is what you've been through with somebody."

what does it mean ? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:11 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

odette wrote:
Quote:
"Love is what you've been through with somebody."

what does it mean ? :?:

I don't know for sure, but this is what it means to me. When you love someone, you are willing to weather the difficult times. Two people who are in love end up being together for a long time, and in the course of that time, they go through a lot together. And it is these shared experiences which make that mutual love so deep and so meaningful. Love is accepting the other person fully for who they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:27 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i googled "true love" and found : butterfly on the sh--

Post subject: :)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:47 am 

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to Love and be Loved in return."

This is one of my favourate quotes, and every time I think of love it pop is my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:14 pm 
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate

When I think of love, I think of the way it's defined by Jubal Harshaw, a character in Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein (I can't remember his exact words, and I'm too lazy to go find my copy, so I'm going to paraphrase): You love someone else when what makes them happy makes you happy.

I'm not sure I completely agree, but it has really stuck with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:12 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Contrary to popular belief, true love has nothing to do with romantic feelings or emotions. Our emotions and feelings are always changing constantly. Love is an action verb; you have to do something for someone else. Love is measured by what you do/don't do for the other person. As far as feelings go, that is just superficial love. Genuine love is doing something nice or thoughtful for someone else when you really don't feel like it. Now that is love!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:29 pm 

Eliea wrote:
When I think of love, I think of the way it's defined by Jubal Harshaw, a character in Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Heinlein (I can't remember his exact words, and I'm too lazy to go find my copy, so I'm going to paraphrase): You love someone else when what makes them happy makes you happy.

I didn't look it up to check, but I think it was more along the lines of: Love is when your happiness is dependant upon that of someone else. That was why Jubal said that love and jealousy couldn't co-exist.

Love is a verb and a noun. Doing love is expressing recognition of and appreciation for the divine spark within something. Love is the idea that such a thing is possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:42 pm 
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate

cerrderion wrote:
I didn't look it up to check, but I think it was more along the lines of: Love is when your happiness is dependant upon that of someone else. That was why Jubal said that love and jealousy couldn't co-exist.

That's what I meant, but rereading it I realize that the way I said it could be interpreted in a lot of ways. Thanks for clarifying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:21 am 

Greta wrote:
. . . Genuine love is doing something nice or thoughtful for someone else when you really don't feel like it. Now that is love!

that is exactly what jesus did for us. i dont care if everyone reading this doesnt believe in Him. the story of Jesus is THE greatest love story of all time. do you think Jesus wanted to become mortal and let himself die, on a cross? if anyone has seen the Passion of the Christ, they can relate. Jesus had it made in heaven, and he went down to earth and was persecuted. he did something for us that no one else would do. and he did it for me and you, so that we would be forgiven from SIN. that is the greatest love anyone has ever given to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:00 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"sweetest"? nope. nothing sweet about it nothing that lasts anyway. love is a way for someone to get what they want from another person, plain and simple. period.

"In my time, nightmares walked among us, skewering victims in plain sight...This to make us laugh. And now nightmares are trapped inside the heads of humans...I wonder whom they angered so to merit such a fate?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:52 pm 
Zen Rebel
Zen Rebel

Love is selfish, love is vain, love's a ceaseless source of pain,
Love is sorrow, night and rain, and yet we heal and love again.

che

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:54 pm 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Love is like a vase you rebuild out of some shards; the less shards you have, the easier you can reunite them...

Love is a complex construction: it requires attention, devotion, courage and effort to create, and it never simply appears by itself...

Unnil

ps. all the quotes I don't precise an author for, are Unnil copyrighted ;)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next