Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:17 pm 
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate

I loved it. Did you read any of the sequels?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:36 am 
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate

That's really interesting, because I was asking because I felt that they did 'kill it' and I was wondering if anyone felt the same, because I also know people who thought they were really good.

Actually, let me amend that. You can probably read Speaker for the Dead without destroying anything. The books I had problems with were the ones about Bean.

Then again, you should probably get a second opinion before taking my advice about anything. As I said, I know a bunch of people who disagree with me.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:54 am 

Well, I started reading them, but didn't get far: thay were quite a waste. Except for Anders Shadow (or however it is called about Bean). It's like watching a sequal: it always tries to be as good as the original, but always fails...

Post subject: Re: Ender's Game
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:56 am 

It's an amzing book! It's not too deep, but gives you something to think about, which is the best kind of books!

Is it possible for you stop using the letter "k" for the word? Just a small favour, if you don't mond...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:17 am 
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate

I didn't like Ender's Shadow at all. I thought that Bean undermined Ender's accomplishments, and, being eternally loyal to Ender, I couldn't stand it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:47 am 

okay yah i liked it very much i thought it was great but yah a sequel would probably ruin it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:59 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

N-o F-*-c-k-i-n-g S-h-o-t. I have read all the sequels to Ender's Game except for Shadow of the Giant... but they are all really gripping. They don't undermine the original, and they are harldy hacks in comparison. The sequels lead wonderful insight into the minds of both ender and bean, as well as some of the other characters who were hardly touched on in the original work. If you've read ender's game, i must implore you to read at least ender's shadow... i think you may be pleasantly surprised by its excellence =-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:35 pm 
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate

Drister wrote:
N-o F-*-c-k-i-n-g S-h-o-t. I have read all the sequels to Ender's Game except for Shadow of the Giant... but they are all really gripping. They don't undermine the original, and they are harldy hacks in comparison. The sequels lead wonderful insight into the minds of both ender and bean, as well as some of the other characters who were hardly touched on in the original work. If you've read ender's game, i must implore you to read at least ender's shadow... i think you may be pleasantly surprised by its excellence =-D

Maybe you did not feel that they undermined the original, but I did, and I felt compelled to warn people of that. And Ender's Shadow was the worst, in my opinion, at destroying the feel of the original Ender's Game. Yes, they are good books. And no, I will never be able to read Ender's Game in the same way again (and I do not view this as a good thing). I'm not exactly telling anyone not to read them, I'm just saying that I wish someone had warned me away from them (therefore I feel compelled to at least mention my reaction).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:17 am 

Ender's Game is definately one of my favourite books. And I must say, even if the sequals are not quite as good as the original, they're difinately worth the read. Speaker for the Dead won't ruin your original feeling of the book...the problem is if you read Speaker for the Dead you might want to read the next too books as well (Xenocide and Children of the Mind), since the story is left unfinished in Speaker. They're also interesting enough, but it is possible they might not apeal to you as much as the original. As for the 'parallel' books i've read only Ender's Shadow and dind't like it very much. I felt it did sort of 'kill' Ender's Game and so I wouldn't recommend it to you, but who knows...you might like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:50 am 
Searcher for Answers
Searcher for Answers

I've read a few of the books in the series( Ender's Game, Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide) Well, none of them is "deep", but they do have some underlying meanings. Personally, I find Ender's Game to be the most creative, captivating and enjoyable. With that said, I consider its sequels to be better in plot and chracterization; albeit not as creative.
The two sequels I've read tends to deal more with personal relationships, politics and religion. We see Ender in a light we have never seen in Ender's Game before. In Ender's Game, Ender appears to be a military genius, other than that you don't really get his personality. In the sequels, however, we see Ender as a mere mortal who possesses great oratory skills and patience, but he no longer appears as a perfect being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:04 pm 

Enders Game is one of the best science fiction books of all time. The sequels are really different kinds of books. Beans series is more similar to the original (and Enders Shadow). The Speaker of the Dead series deals less with adolescent themes but is decent for those who loved the original Enders Game who are also intrigued by more mature subjects (which does not mean that all mature readers will appreciate them). I am not telling you to read them or not though. I believe that you should take everyone else’s opinions as irrelevant and then decide to read them or not. Then you should again disregard everyone’s opinions and judge the book with your own mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:53 pm 

I actually thought that the books about Bean were better than Ender's Game. Try reading Ender's Shadow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:03 am 

Enders game and Speaker for the dead are probably my two favorite books. Card is my favorite author. I plan on reading the sequels soon.