Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:54 pm 

You can choose to beleive what the meaning of life is. I beleive it comes down to whether your an optimist, pesimist, or realist. And optimist believes in a better life after death. A realist beleives we evolved from apes and we are here out a miraculously serious of unlikely events that provided the perfect conditions to breed our form of life and we should do whaterver in our power to further society. The pesimist beleives we have no purpose other that to mulitiply and that our entire existance was that of an unlikely accident. There is no answer to who is right and there never will be. It is up to the person to decide what they beleive. I beleive we are here for a higher purpose and that we not just some random act of science, i read a book on the probability of your being born. The sheer probablilty of the one sperm cell combining with the one egg cell that makes you, you is over one billion to 1. This is not even coming to the probability that the human race was even created, according to scientific prediction, which is such an improbable chance that it cannot even be put into a ratio. That fact that any of us are even alive is a miracle. An amazing stroke of luck, or is it? Again I prefer we are here for a reason, I'll do whatever I can to further society while I'm here and promote Christianity which i beleive to be a far more likely reason of our existance than that of pure chance. I'm not that lucky of a person anyway. :wink:

TopicalPeanut wrote:
oooh! philosophy.

We didn't come from maonkeys, we have evolved parallel with monkeys, both coming from an ape like ancestor.

As for god, my opnion is that the fact that there is belief in him, proves he doesn't exist. If no one believed in him, he wouldn't exist. it's the same for money. if noboby believed a scrap of paper was worth five pounds, it's wouldn't

Ahh, getting into belief now are we? So then by your logic, if everyone in the world stopped beleiving in George Washington he would have never existed. But "no" you say "how rediculous, there are facts written on George Washington", yes and what makes the statements you beleive in about George true? They are not differant than the Bible. In either time period you were not there to see. You say it is redicuous to beleive God exists just because people told you he does. Yet we all do that every day when we go to history class. Are you so ignorant that you must have proof of everything in order to believe it? Or just things that challenge Science? Of course that is what science is based on, proof. But then we must ask ourselves, what if our senses are flawed.
And this is possible, ask any colorblind person. They would be totally obliviously to the fact that color exists if they were not told. Our senses are how we percieve the world around us, make facts, and in turn make science. I don't beleive that a human can say something is fact. It can only be factual based on ones senses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:45 pm 

The point of living...hmmm....to me it's to worship God. Also, it's to discover who you really are...I think that only in death we'll only know who we really are, and the purpose of life...because death is a part of life and if we don't examine it then we really don't know everything about life. I don't know if you really get what I mean or if that makes sense at all.

Post subject: The Meaning of Life
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The Meaning of Life is different to different people. But I believe that there is a universal truth to life that everyone can understand. The Major difference between something that is dead, say a rock molecule, and a living organism is that the organism (whatever it may be) can feel and the rock cannot. I believe that the meaning of life is to feel. Whether it be good or bad, each feeling is different and I believe that God truly loves variety, even in all the different sensations that He feels through us. But, that's only what I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:41 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Point of living is Death.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:21 pm 
Zen Rebel
Zen Rebel

How cheerful of you, ish. :P

The point of living is life. :)

che

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:14 am 

The person I agree with most here is Incorrect (see page 2 or 3, I forget which).

The first thing we've got to accept is that we're confused as hell as to why we're here. If our lives do have a purpose, I believe we'll find it. If we don't find our purpose, I guess we don't have one.

As for evolution, the theory has its flaws, but it's a lot more believable than the story of Adam and Eve. Eve had Adam's kids, who did their kids have kids with? Eww (Please don't take offense). I respect all religions and believe that all of them have elements of truth and wisdom.

I don't think God is a guy sitting up in heaven looking down upon us and watching our every move. If God truly is all-powerful, I'm sure he (if it's a he) has better things to do. If God is truly all-loving, he wouldn't send any of us to hell. In fact, if God is truly all loving, I wonder why there's any war, hunger, or suffering on Earth.

I am not an atheist. I strongly believe in God, however, in my opinion, God is abstract. The fact that we think we can even understand God means we think we're just too smart, and we're almost it's (God's) equal.

Just live your life, and before you die, if you find a sense of purpose, if you find that there's something you need to achieve in this lifetime, achieve it. There's your point of life.

And the mome raths outgrabe.
-from Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carroll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:50 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Olfacto,

Maybe that is the purpose of religion, to be abstract, think about it..
“Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.” Karl Marx

I'm constantly searching my own truths, that's my life's goal. Only to know why you are, and what you are doing, make all fear disappear, and fear is what ruins lives, fear is what created time, fear is also what made most humans to reckless, egocentric and false. It's what made us choose a leading strengt, something standing in the way of a man without fears.
And most important, not fear death. I would not care to die tomorrow, I already reached what I wanted to reach.
So what I live for now is to collect more philosophy, more wisdow, to learn and to die even more satisfied.

PS: Sorry if you guys thought I was gone, I only needed time to think

Unnil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Maybe there is no point in life. Why does everything have to have a reason for being? What if we are all just a big "accident" and we are over analysing things. I guess we will never know for sure, we can only speculate.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:04 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

I prefer not being such a pessimiste..

Unnil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:14 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yeah, I apologise. I was kind of in a foul mood last evening.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:52 pm 

No, it's extremely probable that there's no point to human life. It's the human dependence on logic and reason that has convinced us that our existence has a purpose. You'll never find an Amoeba asking why it's here. Or even a chimpanzee, for that matter.

And the mome raths outgrabe.
-from Jabberwocky, by Lewis Carroll

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:34 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Actually the point of living is to keep oneself alive as long as possible

Unnil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

To get from here to there - help people/animals whom we determine worth it or unavoidable - help keep the loved ones, ourselves, pets comfortable, happy and moving forward toward positive goals. There are probably a million other things too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 9:09 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

That's morally, but technically.. we live to keep our species alive, like every existing thing does.. and if we happen to destroy earth and ourselves, that will not be wanted by anyone, it will occur due to a war (to keep oneself alive)

Then again, is humanity really worth the living for?´

Unnil

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:17 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

JohnDoe_man wrote:
What Do You Think The Point Of Living Is?

To "think" can involve perception beyond an in-depth study of basic animal instincts. Interpretation of this question allows man (and maybe animals, though I can't get through to mine except for basic needs) to think of love and compassion.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next