Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:46 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I guess I had used a bad analogy. The point I was trying to make is that people take action to avoid inaction. And for the decisions they make, it's out of selfishness. It's not a bad thing, though. It's just a way of rationalizing people's decisions. It is a very simple and broad statement, and in no way is it narrow thinking. Saying that the world is only six thousand years old is narrow thinking. Call me prejudice, but there's no way I can go on explaining myself to someone who thinks that simple evolutionary claims have absolutely zero credibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:31 am 

It appears, from the posts here that the point of living is to find meaning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:07 pm 

That's one way to explain it, Foyle ... I'll have to remember that ...

I suppose one might call believing that the earth is only six thousand years old a tad narrow, although, seriously, RainingTwain, I was not trying to insult you or any of your views in any way with whatever comments I might have made.

Still, though (and ignore this; this is for the thread called 'creation or evolution'), I have a hard time imagining my ancestors as ... monkeys.

Last edited by KnowledgeSeeker on Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:53 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The claim that humans came from monkeys would be relatively extravagent. If not, the most extravagent of all. But dinosaur bones would be a very simple one to believe. Or even carbon dating. What about that? Do you think all this scientific evidence is just a scheme to sell textbooks? However, if there is a god, then I would probably buy into the belief that creation started about thirteen billion years ago, or whenever the big bang occured. But then, that doesn't even explain where god came from, or what was going on prior to the big bang. So I guess dwelling on this stuff is a waste of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:13 am 

oooh! philosophy.

We didn't come from maonkeys, we have evolved parallel with monkeys, both coming from an ape like ancestor.

As for god, my opnion is that the fact that there is belief in him, proves he doesn't exist. If no one believed in him, he wouldn't exist. it's the same for money. if noboby believed a scrap of paper was worth five pounds, it's wouldn't

We are all animals-the Rakes

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:40 am 

Oh the theory of evolution, versus belief, good discussion fodder, however the fact of the matter is that everyone who ever postulated upon the nature of reality has been proven wrong. Our current theories, given time will also prove to be wrong and future generations will figure out or discover their own theories or build upon a belief system that we at this time can only dream about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:55 am 

TopicalPeanut wrote:
As for god, my opnion is that the fact that there is belief in him, proves he doesn't exist. If no one believed in him, he wouldn't exist. it's the same for money. if noboby believed a scrap of paper was worth five pounds, it's wouldn't

Sorry, er, you just contradicted yourself. What exactly was the message again, TopicalPeanut? You said that believing in God proves He does not exist ... then you say that not believing in God also proves He doesn't exist. So the example of the money is ... not very informative.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:47 pm 

I don't think there is a "point." - however I believe each life has a purpose. Sometimes on a small scale, sometimes on a grander one - and I think what we are meant to do is recognize our own and each others purpose and if we don't - well then perhaps "then" there is no point

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:06 am 

Sorry, knowledge seeker, wasn't very clear. i'm rubbish at vocalisng my points! what i was trying to say, that because he needs belief to exists, he can't exist. i think. i just know i don't believe, and while i'm open minded, i've yet to find someone to convince me otherwise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:42 am 

Okay, TopicalPeanut, I'll just take your word for it. *Scratches head.* You're starting to get me confused, too ...

:? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:21 am 

Okay then, sorry for the confusion. try and read 'Is there an artificial god?' from 'the salmon of doubt' by douglas adams. it diverges quite a bit, but it blew my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:31 pm 

i think that the point of living is life itself...we cannot know the real point of life...it woud br too easy :roll:

Post subject: Happiness
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:07 pm 

I once wrote a whole paper on how I thought the point of life is for us to each find our own happiness. If anybody would care to read, I don't mind sharing. Haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think that if we were to have an ape-like ancestor, then I'm pretty sure that that ancestor had ancestors of their own that just might have been apes. Which would lead me to believe that us humans have ape ancestors. Because you can't just say that ape-like people just appeared out of spontaneity. That would be as silly as believing that we all came from two people. They, like everything else, had some kind of predecessor. I'm sorry, but besides apes, I can't think of anything else that'd come before our caveman or ape-like ancestors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:55 pm 

point of living is to make your point in life....and be heard of...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next