Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:37 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

These are some of my favorite characters from fiction that I’ve read, they’re not necessarily the main characters, but mostly are.

Jo March – Little Women
- Louisa May Alcott
She’s just awesome. No other explanation required

Holden Caulfield – The catcher in the Rye
- J.D. Salinger
Doesn’t everyone want to be like him? He feels for everyone and has such an adorable way of putting things.

Matthew Lester (William’s best friend) – Kane and Abel
- Jeffrey Archer
I cried like a moron when he dies of some disease, can’t remember which. He is my dream guy.

Ronald Weasley – The Harry Potter series
- J.K. Rowling
He’s the best friend anybody could ask for; I wish I could be like him. No wait, I wish I had someone like him. (Smiley)
Of course, who can forget the weasley twins, and Lupin and Sirius – but they’re in select books.

Atticus Finch, closely followed by Arthur (Boo) Radley – To Kill a Mocking Bird
- Harper Lee
I doubt if many have read this classic. It is one of THE most touching books that I’ve come across. First of all, hats off to the author who was able to do a remarkable job writing the whole book from the kid’s point of view. And Atticus, with his single parenthood, his job, the apartheid and his ideals. Its just excellent.

Michael _________ (don’t remember) – An Equal Music
- Vikram Seth
Doubt if ppl’ve read this either. The book isn’t exceptional in itself but the character is well crafted and he’s very level headed.

Jennifer Cavilleri, even Oliver’s dad, he’s lovable – Love Story
- Erich Sehgal
The woman I aspire to be. Strong, and a hard nut to crack on the outside, but a soft, molten heart of gold on the inside.
I love the way Oliver and she flirt at the Radcliffe library,

She: See preppie, you’re rich and stupid. I’m smart and poor.
He: what makes you so smart?
She: I wouldn’t go out with you
He: What makes you think I’ll ask you?
She: That is what makes you stupid.

He narrates….. “let me tell you why I took her out for coffee.”
So cute!

The Little Prince – The little Prince
- Antoine De Saint Exupery
Love him, Love him, love him. Read the book, you’ll just nod with me.

Ford Prefect, Arthur Dent too, though he pisses me off a lil bit sometimes – The Hitchiker’s guide (all five)
- Douglas Adams
You know

Winston Smith – 1984
- George Orwell
I haven’t finished with the book yet, but he’s what I’d call seasoned sensuality.
His character is quite magnetic.

The poor unsuccessful lawyer – A tale of two cities
- Charles Dickens
Damn, I wish I was better with names. Anyway, I like this guy. I usually feel for the underdog, and he was a perfect underdog.

Oh, I almost forgot,
Quasimodo – The Hunchback of Notre Dame
- Victor Hugo
More human than human.

Frankenstein – Frankenstein
- Mary Shelley
Same as above.

The Verger – The Verger
- O. Henry (I think, or maybe its Maugham)
I love the last line when the bank manager asks him what he could have been if he’d known to read and write, he says “I can tell you that sir, I’d be verger of St. Peter’s church”
Ah! Irony!

Gail Wynand – The Fountainhead
- Ayn Rand
It might look strange that I didn’t put down Roark’s name here. But thing is, she made him too very god like. He was too perfect to be credible enough. Wynand on the other hand was someone you could understand. Roark you can admire, you can follow, you can’t relate to. And oh, the name of his ship – “I do”. What ingenuity!

Francisco D’Anconia, Henry Rearden – Atlas Shrugged
- Ayn Rand
I don’t like Ragnar Danneskjold. I mean, he sounds wonderful and all, and i couldn’t stop beaming after I read his line “we believe happiness is the natural state of man” and I can again only like Galt, and Dagny to a distance, and then not understand them. Though I do want to be like Dagny, especially as Rearden describes her as the girl on the flatcar.

Whew, that was long!
Migh’ be able to come up with more, till then, you tell me!

And Eternity in an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:46 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

not to sound annoying or ath,
but this could be a good topic guys! c'mon, reply!!!

And Eternity in an hour.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:37 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

person wrote:
The Little Prince – The little Prince
- Antoine De Saint Exupery
Love him, Love him, love him. Read the book, you’ll just nod with me.

Winston Smith – 1984
- George Orwell
I haven’t finished with the book yet, but he’s what I’d call seasoned sensuality.
His character is quite magnetic.

Gail Wynand – The Fountainhead
- Ayn Rand
It might look strange that I didn’t put down Roark’s name here. But thing is, she made him too very god like. He was too perfect to be credible enough. Wynand on the other hand was someone you could understand. Roark you can admire, you can follow, you can’t relate to. And oh, the name of his ship – “I do”. What ingenuity!

i'm agree with these three. i cried while reading "little prince". oui, je l'aime beaucoup.

"roark" character was exageratted i think. being confident doesnt mean being "fine". "wynand"s life story can be interesting for a fiction but far from to participate today's social conditions. Social Status only matters f you think it is "important". all characters in her book support to capitalism's ideal shapes that is all, in addition to these you can determine Max Weber's "ideal styles/shapes" concept on presentation of characters.

at last 1984.
1984 is where we live. PERRRRRRRFECTTTT ........

+

i love Tom Robbins's characters the best. i dont know which one i have to count at first..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:51 am 
QuoteMistress
QuoteMistress

hmm I think the charac. Iliked most is Sophie in The Davinci Code
also Paulo Coelho's charcter in The Alchemist

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:19 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

At the moment, I can't get Monsieur Pamplemousse novels out - by Michael Bond.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:14 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

One of my favorite characters of all, would be

!Xabbu- Otherland, by Tad Williams
He's adorable, your best friend, and sexy all at the same time

I have more favs, but for some reason the author painted in such a unique way this character, that it's hard to forget him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

got it, his name was Sidney Carton.

And Eternity in an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:13 pm 

I would have to say Tom Joad, The Grapes Of Wrath, Maybe Gadsby, also I will always remember O-Lan and Wang Lung in The Good Earth by Pearl Buck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:49 pm 

The little boy in To Kill A Mockingbird that always lies .. he is the summer companion of Scout and her brother... i can never rember his name.. lol

The Herdsman in The Oddesy

Joe Gargery from Great Expectations

I completly agree with Ron Weasley...
and for another great best friend...
Sam in Lord of the Rings

White Fang.. in the book White Fang by Jack London

that is all I can think of for the moment .. so many were already listed lol...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:44 pm 

Yossarian Yossarian Yossarian...and without Orr Catch 22 wouldn't be quite so wonderful. I love the bit wth the apple cheeks - laughed all the way through. He's so quick off the mark, I love it.

What about Stephen Fry? In and out of literature. He comes up with the most brilliant things. I always try and remember them but am clearly too hopeless.

Ron Weasley is a good character, but there is some doubt about the originality of JK Rowling's work...but I can't talk as I love it just as much as the next person.

One of my favourite quotes is from Hector Berlioz, who said [/quote] tme is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all it's pupils.

And because, as Oscar Wilde said, "To be natural is such a very difficult pose to keep up", I finish on the excellent advice from Christian N. Bovee:

"next to being witty yourself, the best thing is to quote another's wit."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:54 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

mae west wrote:
Ron Weasley is a good character, but there is some doubt about the originality of JK Rowling's work

::makes confused scooby doo sound:: :?:

i'm interested, mae... what makes you say this?

-j

Post subject: HP
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:43 pm 

i will re-emphasise the thing about "I love it just as much as the next person" but don't you think it's all a bit famliar? like the philosopher's stone - its like the weirdstone of brisingamen, and the basilisk is a legendary character. I think it's a very clever collection of things from time gone by presented in a new format - but then again, is anything original these days?
in my opinion (and this is just what i think) someone like Phillip Pullman has done a bit more of a good job with northern lights, from the writing point of view at least, as his ideas were more individual.
What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:31 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

ahh now i see. well, mae, that's what i enjoyed most about rowling's books. she created this fantasy world that exists among the real world, taking what were real myths like the philosopher's stone and the basilisk and making them simply real. i would imagine that that is hard to do, but she made it work. also, if you look at the names, she put a lot of thought behind most of the names in her book, which i like. some named after old english words or historical figures, from dumbledore to fawkes, she made some great connections between her characters and the figures they are named after.

but i did see that you like it too, so i spose we're all on the same page anyway :wink:

i'm not familiar with phillip pullman. what's his stuff like?

-j

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:17 pm 

I like how Rowling does that wiht the names too, that is one of the things I think is clever about HP.

Philip Pullman wrote a brilliant trilogy called His Dark Materials amongst other things I'm not so familiar with, I think they are making a film of the first book, Northeren Lights at the moment.
I don't want to spoil it by explaining too much, but if you looked into the writing of HP as much as you say, you'll enjoy this for that if nothing else. go here http://www.philip-pullman.com/pages/content/index.asp

This is an extract published on his site:

After darkness had fallen, and when the stores and equipment had all been safely unloaded and stood in waiting on the quay, Farder Coram and Lyra walked along the waterfront and looked for Einarsson's Bar. They found it easily enough: a crude concrete shed with a red neon sign flashing irregularly over the door and the sound of loud voices through the condensation-frosted windows.

A pitted alley beside it led to a sheet-metal gate into a rear yard, where a lean-to shed stood crazily over a floor of frozen mud. Dim light through the rear window of the bar showed a vast pale form crouching upright and gnawing at a haunch of meat which it held in both hands. Lyra had an impression of blood-stained muzzle and face, small malevolent black eyes, and an immensity of dirty matted yellowish fur. As it gnawed, hideous growling, crunching, sucking noises came from it.

Farder Coram stood by the gate and called:

"Iorek Bymison!"

The bear stopped eating. As far as they could tell, he was looking at them directly, but it was impossible to read any expression on his face.

"Iorek Byrnison," said Farder Coram again. "May I speak to you?"

Lyra's heart was thumping hard, because something in the bear''s presence made her feel close to coldness, danger, brutal power, but a power controlled by intelligence; and not a human intelligence, nothing like a human, because of course bears had no daemons. This strange hulking presence gnawing its meat was like nothing she had ever imagined, and she felt a profound admiration and pity for the lonely creature.
He dropped the reindeer leg in the dirt and slumped on all fours to the gate. Then he reared up massively, ten feet or more high, as if to show how mighty he was, to remind them how useless the gate would be as a barrier, and he spoke to them from that height.

'Well? Who are you?'

It is a fantasy story i suppose, but what the author had to say on it is quite interesting:

You once said that His Dark Materials is not a fantasy, but stark realism. What did you mean by that?

That comment got me into trouble with the fantasy people. What I mean by it was roughly this: that the story I was trying to write was about real people, not beings that don't exist like elves or hobbits. Lyra and Will and the other characters are meant to be human beings like us, and the story is about a universal human experience, namely growing up. The 'fantasy' parts of the story were there as a picture of aspects of human nature, not as something alien and strange. For example, readers have told me that the dæmons, which at first seem so utterly fantastic, soon become so familiar and essential a part of each character that they, the readers, feel as if they've got a dæmon themselves. And my point is that they have, that we all have. It's an aspect of our personality that we often overlook, but it's there. that's what I mean by realism: I was using the fantastical elements to say something that I thought was true about us and about our lives.

Read it - just because I'd like to know what you think. :)
M