Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Life of Pi - Opinions?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:41 am 
Searcher for Answers
Searcher for Answers

Our teacher gave this book to us a month ago and told us to write a report on it. Now i've finished the book but i didnt really enjoy it. I know it talks about zoology, survivol and God. But it really is pointless in my opinion. I mean the whole book lacks organization, interest and intellect.
Can anyone give me their opinion on this book?
Many thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i keeps meanin to read it. but i got onto about the third chapter and got bored lol. so sorry im no help
x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:26 am 

I read it over the summer, and I actually really enjoyed it. I liked the epic nature of the boy's journey. I don't really understand what you mean in saying that it lacks organization, interest, and intellect. I think the book is the epitome of those things. It does bounce around a little as far as the writer trying to find a good topic for his book, then about the boy's childhood and ultimately his journey, then the writer finally meeting Piscine later in life...

Ultimately I just found the entire story of Pi to be inspiring and thought-provoking. My favorite parts in the book were when Pi and the tiger came across that weird island with the mongoose things and then when Pi was describing his adventure to the Chinese? investigators. It was cool how he changed all the animals to real people - the bear became his mother, etc...

It was different, and I have to respect any book that dares to be unique.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:33 pm 

mariby64 well done! I think that you are right ... it has been over a year sinve I have read it but i remember that it was a very interesting novel that dealt with so many things that happen in every day ordinary life.. decideing what we choose to believe in.. (I have to say I really enjoyed how he just wanted to love God and didn't put any limitations on his love) loss of loved ones, general family relationships, responsibility, survival and the journey's that people take that shape them into who they are.. I think that the author's dissorganized way of laying the novel out was really creative tho at times was kinda confusing lol. But over all it was a truly unique novel that is unlike anything I have read or will ever read again. The part of the book I remember liking the most was how he managed to keep the tiger in line ... and also managed to keep them alive.