Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Dune by Frank Herbert
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:18 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Any Dune fans running around here? I read the first three books, and haven't had a chance to read anymore. Maybe one of these days. And yeah, the movie; I've heard is terrible and ruins the books...is this true?

Don't show me the palm tree, show me the dates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:22 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

I love Dune. Actually I love the newer ones done by Frank Herberts son, Brian Herbert. They're a lot easier to read. The ones that Brian Herbert did are prequels to his dad's. There are 6 of them total and very worth checking out.

As for the movie, I loved it. I didn't like the miniseries that HBO (I think it was HBO?) did recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:45 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
Actually I love the newer ones done by Frank Herberts son, Brian Herbert.

Woah, I never knew that such books existed. Indeed, I will go check up on them.

Quote:
They're a lot easier to read.

I really liked Herbert Sr.'s writing style. I couldn't put my finger on exactly why I did, but I liked the way it flowed I guess.

Don't show me the palm tree, show me the dates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:22 pm 
QuoteSage
QuoteSage

http://www.dunenovels.com/

Check them out here. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:42 am 

I agree with Halliberry, the prequel's are very interesting as well. I had read i think up to the 4th book but i stoped cause it became confusing/harder to read and therefore less interesting to me. However this was when i was still in grade school and i have wanted to but never actualy tried to read the series again.

As for the movie, i thought it was pretty good, somethings were changed but thats how all movies are. I did not see the mini series though so i dont know on that one.

Post subject: well...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:50 pm 

I liked both writting styles and I also wantedf to comment that the new novels are co-written by anotehr author.. Keven J Anderson lol. And yeah the new books are a lot easier to read. The ones by Herbert Sr. are a bit more ... wordy but jsut as appealing... As far as i know there are two Dune movies (other than the children of Dune and so on... lol).. one that was done a long time ago and is three hours long and another one that is rufly 6 hours long and is more recent... in my opnion the earlier movie was a lot better done and even though a few thingas are changed is a much better representation of the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:10 am 

Dune was one of the first Sci Fi books I ever read, and still one of my favorites. The moment in the desert when the scientist realizes that ...the one thing is the other thing... was one of those perfect OMG! boing! lightbulb! epiphany! moments that are, for me, the best of any kind of lit. And, lol, the 'Bene-Jesseret voice' is a part of my personal idiom. I read several of the sequels, until they started to seem like hall of mirrors reflections of one another. I think I threw the fourth one against the wall. But I've run into Dune 5 times this week, so maybe it's time to go back for more.

I thought the first movie had too much expositiory annoyance (you know, pictures of the planets with the voice-over "DUNE...desert planet" repeated 25 times, gaak!), but there were other things I liked about it... I enjoyed all the actors performances, and the pilot creatures were perfectly creepy. I also liked the neo-brutalist/gothic/Incan set decoration in the first movie.

There was too much standing around in the mini series, I thought, and Wm Hurt as Leo? no no no, but I watched it all, didn't I?

I always thought the Paul character had the innocent courage of the young, but both of the actors who played him were significantly older than say, 21. It's the same thing I find irritating in a production of Hamlet - by the time an actor has the maturity to understand the part, he's too old to play the part.

Blah blah, I :heart: Sci Fi