Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:28 am 

Does anyone know of any books that compare well with 'Pride and Prejudice'?

Whether it's a common theme, character or a contrasting attitude etc. all ideas would be greatly appreciated!
thank you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:57 am 

I have just finished Pride and Prejudice. I would like to know what you thought of it. I found it rather enjoyable. Tell me if you find another book like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:39 am 

I love 'Pride and Prejudice' i think it's just a lovely book. The character Elizabeth Bennet is wonderful, so vividly portrayed- you really want to meet her!

The book is a fantastic mix of love, comedy, tragedy and suspense- it has a lil' bit of everything. I do think it is a 'girly' book, but i don't think it should stop guys having a look! I think after recently reading it again, it's my favourite book!

I, like many other women find Darcy so attractive and if you've seen the english adaptation with colin firth as Darcy you'll see why!!! If you haven't seen the english version- you really must. It's brilliant it sticks wonderfully to the book, taking the diologue almost untouched. The characters are fitted almost perfectly and it is literally like seeing the novel come to life!

The new american movie version, i have heard is a good movie, but those 'die- hard' fans who have read the book, seen the english version apparently (according to the critics) won't be able to help being dissapointed- i.e. will expect something and not get it. I'm remaining open-mided about it, and i can't wait to see it!!!!

I would recommend 'Sense and Sensibility' Jane Austen, i haven't read it for years but i'm intending to read it very soon. It is a beautiful story, and obviously runs along the same lines as 'Pride and Prejudice' - sisters finding love, it's really worth a read! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have read about 3 of her (what 4 or 5?) books and I'm not a literary scholar but she seems to be in a class all her own. The dialogue is so carefully worded, beautiful and clever.

Actually, the dialogue in Oscar Wilde's plays is beautiful and clever too.

If you're interested in a forum of like minds:

http://boards.aetv.com/forum.jspa?forumID=334

They are quiet sometimes but fun if it gets going.