Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Brave New World
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:10 am 
Searcher for Answers
Searcher for Answers

Have anyone read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley here? I've just finished it and wonder if I could write a report for my school.
Could those who've read the book give me some nice points for the book? I know what its mainly about tho there're some concepts that I could not really grasp. E.g. What's the authors own view to the Utopia described in the book? Did the Savage commit suicide by hanging himself? ( Coz the book said the savage's feet were turning from south to north and vice versa, I think he commited suicide but I'm not sure.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:49 pm 

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/bravenew/

Read that. Spark notes can be vryy helpful. I am tired and I think that Spark notes will do better than I can do to explain the book.

Excellent book though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:03 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

1- it is a dystopia
2- he didnt "commit" suicide, he dead by suicide
3- you can read "1984" by Orwell, and "We" by Zamyatin are useful to understand it
4- main values in B.N.W, controlling sexuality and meaning of "love", menaing of individual differences in modern life themes are important.

i dont know what kinda paper you want to prepare. if you can write more specific i think i can help to explain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:55 am 

Another good book to read would be Ayn Rand's 'Anthem'. It's about a society that's completely opposite of BNW's. I think it's a bit easier to understand than BNW. '1982' is also a good book, but a bit monotonous in some places.

cheers!

~Oh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:59 am 

I'd talk about SOMA (meaning body in latin i think) and the role of the body in the novel. I did BNW in a course at uni which was about how the concept of the body changes in 20th C literature.... it's an interesting, if highly complex, angle....

I think BNW is all about sex drugs and rock n' roll, but as someone mentioned, as a form of control rather than rebellion.

Maybe you could look at the idea of the outsiders who aren't part of the priveledged society... and is it a dystopia or utopia? just because the book is set up for an immediate, knee-jerk reaction going totalitarianism and dystopia doesn't mean you have to think about it that way. Challenge the logic of the text,, it's fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:38 pm 

pixie_nut wrote:
I'd talk about SOMA (meaning body in latin i think) and the role of the body in the novel. I did BNW in a course at uni which was about how the concept of the body changes in 20th C literature.... it's an interesting, if highly complex, angle....

Just a quick point, don't mean to be arsey but if people are quoting you in an essay I felt that I'd better quickly make it, that some does indeed mean body (among other things, it can also mean e.g. a carcass, or a body of men united e.g. in a society or family) but in ancient Greek. An easy mistake to make, though.

Sorry to nit-pick :/