Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Go Ask Alice
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:33 pm 

I recommend for people to read Go Ask Alice by Anonymous. It's a real diary of a girl who gets caught up in the world of drugs. I, not being one to usually read books like this, picked it off of my mom's bookshelf and began to read. I couldn't stop reading it. I loved this book and all my friends did too. Here's the saying in the begining of the book to give you a taste of it.

Sugar & Spice &
Everything Nice
Acid & smack &
No Way Back

If anyone wants to give me thoughts on the book I would like it. If you haven't read it, l'd go somewhere where you can get it and read it, then tell me what you thought of it. Don't waste time, go read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:54 am 

I really enjoyed the book as well. when i was at school the mother of Alice came and spoke to our year group about it, twas quite distressing. it's just a shame that there is almost an excess of literature about the drug thing now...creates a general immunity to its seriousness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:15 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I haven't read the book, but this thread did remind me of another that I've heard is good, and goes along the same concept. White Oleander; I've got it sitting here on my desk, but after reading some of it; I decided that it was just a little too "chicky" for me to enjoy correctly, but every girl I've heard talk about it says that it was a fantastic book.

Just another passing thought I decided to post...hehe. :)

Don't show me the palm tree, show me the dates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:53 am 

Sihvyl I agree with you. I start to read the book, I was tempted to put it back down, but I had nothing better to read at that moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:38 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i loved go ask alice. the year i read it was the same year i saw a friend of mine od. and it gave a little more light to things. it gave me another point-of-view, but i can't even hear about the book now without thinking about that night. :(

"In my time, nightmares walked among us, skewering victims in plain sight...This to make us laugh. And now nightmares are trapped inside the heads of humans...I wonder whom they angered so to merit such a fate?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:00 am 

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/askalice.asp

check out that link and see what you think about the book after reading the article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:42 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i wouldn't be surprised if the book was a fabication, but i don't think thats so much the point. i don't know about other schools and libraries, but our's always keep the book in the fiction section. i don't think whether it's true or not is whats important, whats important is that it could have happened like that, and that many people experience things like that. a good fiction book should have you believing that its true and thats the magic of go ask alice, whether the book is fiction or not.

"In my time, nightmares walked among us, skewering victims in plain sight...This to make us laugh. And now nightmares are trapped inside the heads of humans...I wonder whom they angered so to merit such a fate?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:57 am 

I read the book when I was 13 (many moons ago), and was greatly affected by it, in a positive way. If I'd known it was non-fiction at the time I don't think it would have made any difference to me. It's certainly unethical, though, to claim that one's book is a true story, and to use that as an advertising ploy. Plenty of people still believe it's true....I picked up the book for my teenage daughter a year agao, and it was in the non-fiction young adults section in the Barnes and Noble.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:45 pm 

i read the book recently and found the era we are living in is full of brain waste in one or other way and killing lives fr just few bugs or fr satisfaction of physical needs , not considering any thing just for sake of NOTHIN THEY DONT HAVE ANY purpose and as a result emotinal victems write diaries , and such victimised diaries will be written for ever i am afraid to state

Post subject: GO ASK ALICE
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:42 am 

The book, "Go ask Alice" was inspirational in the sense of learning about the world of depression, loneliness, and of course drugs which "Alice" experienced. I am not much older than her and can relate to her habbits. Believe it or not, this is the truth about what is going on around you, 'the real world' so Fiction or Non- Fiction, doesn't change the morals, concepts and facts of the novel. The point that was made by the author was the fact that "Alice" died... like many thousands of teens that die each year from the misuse of drugs. or in other words be careful with who and what you get caught up with before it destroys your life and end up with a life like hers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:21 am 

the problem of drug use is still prevailing lets pray it be eradicated and we need not haveany more painful books !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:40 pm 

BondCat wrote:
the problem of drug use is still prevailing lets pray it be eradicated and we need not haveany more painful books !!

I'll pray for that, BondCat. If one of today's teenaged drug users were to write a book along the lines of Go Ask Alice, it would no doubt be ten times more harrowing. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:43 pm 

for andrew_white and the link that you provided... i agree with the other person who said that it doesn't really matter much if it wasn't a true story... It was a thought provoking book that I know has helped at least one person turn away from drugs... as a first hand witness of what the sh.it can do to people i ask you this... even if it is not real does it change the book at all or how you look at it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i agree. after watching a friend of mine od and having to take him to the hospital because no one else would i must say it doesn't matter whether go ask alice is true or not. if that didn't happen to that person than that or something worse happened to someone.