Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: P. J. O'Rourke
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:17 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Has anyone got anything to say about this author?

I'm basically a liberal (bleeding heart, with a few exceptions, like bearing arms) but this fellow seems funny. Refreshing. I'll be back when I get a book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:54 am 

O'Rourke is one of my favorites. He has some great insights.

There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you
damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human
duty, the duty to take the consequences.~P.J. O'Rourke, The Liberty Manifesto.

Something is happening to America, not something dangerous but something all too safe. I see it in my lifelong friends. I am a child of the "baby boom", a generation not known for its sane or cautious approach to things. Yet suddenly my peers are giving up drinking, giving up smoking, cutting down on coffee, sugar, and salt. They will not eat red meat and go now to restaurants whose menus have caused me to stand on a chair yelling, "Flopsy, Mopsy, Cottontail, dinner is served!" This from the generation of LSD, Weather Underground, and Altamont Rock Festival! And all in the name of safety! Our nation has withstood many divisions - North and South, black and white, labor and management - but I do not know if the country can survive division into smoking and non-smoking sections.~O'Rourke, P.J. (1987), Republican Party Reptile. The confessions, adventures, essays and other outrages of P.J. O'Rourke. London (Picador), 40

I've always figured that if God wanted us to go to church a lot He'd have given us bigger behinds to sit on and smaller heads to think with.~Ibid.

I am no stranger to loud music. I've been to a Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels concert. I once dated a woman with two kids.~Ibid.

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.~Ibid

The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then gets elected and proves it.~Ibid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:24 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Phaedrus, I appreciate the quotes--they show the evenhandedness of his barbs and comments.

I've ordered a book written shortly after the Gulf War and it will be interesting to read the impressions of Saddam in light of what's going on now. The reviews I have read indicate that liberals won't care for him but from what I have seen, I can only laugh out loud or agree with the man.