Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:41 pm 

Some easy reading, philosophy most be Jostein Gaarder, I've only read them in Norwegian (his original language) But they are quite easy! I like all of his books very much! :D

Post subject: Easy?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:26 pm 

I may be wrong, but books are not written for the purpose of challenging the reader, (although I swear Tolstoy is god's method of punishing me for my sinful existance), rather, they are written for expression in terms the author finds most effective or convenient; any difficulty can be attributed to the reader's unfamiliarity with the author's means of expression.

I can't speak for others, but I know when read I am in search of insight, knowledge, enjoyment, etc. I do not feel as though I must prove my mastery of the subject the book contains. I do not think of the book as a test I must get an A on, nor a foe who I must conquer. So I find it odd that people measure the dificulty of a book as if it has bearing on it's relevence, as if every book they read were another nocht on their belt. This disturbs me. The thought of somone reading books merely for the sake of having read them is quite absurd.

A book's greatness cannot be measured by it's difficulty to read. Instead, a books greatness is determined by the content and messages it submits to humanity.

-Sorry for straying from the topic-

http://geocities.com/striped_tiger_man/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:24 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Maybe in general but most philosophical texts are designed for other philosphers to read so they are by their nature challening but are closer to what the author wanted to say so them being challenging can be a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:31 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Anyone looked at the 'In our time' greatest philospher debeate (on Radio 4)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:43 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

sigsfried, I started listening last night. I hope it stays there for a while.

Incidentally, I was able to order the first three sets of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio programs from them. You, I believe, were the one who mentioned this in relation to that site.

Thanks, twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:12 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

In our time basically stays on Radio 4 for ever. Though the longest thing available is the original Reith lectures are apparently there. Most stuff only survives 1 week. The fourth phase of HHGTTG is currently being broadcast (technically fourth and fifth phase) which is why they arn't for sale yet. Go to bbc.co.uk/radio4 and go to listen again to hear the latest episode of hitch hikers but we are on episode 6/8 in the series. Maybe just wait two more weeks or preoder 4th+5th phases.
I starting to realise the one reason I couldn't live anywhere abroad is there is nothing else quite like the beeb and certainly nothing like BBC radio 4 and I'm 18 I dread to think what I'll be like when I'm 30.

EDIT: Enjoy though you may I suppose not get some of the Hitch hikers refrences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Sigsfried, I loved the Hitchhicker's TV series, what I remember of it, and the movie--so far the CD's are great but haven't gotten very far.

I may be calling upon you (and/or the board) to decipher the references that are cryptic. I'd say any questions I had on this would fit nicely in a philosophy thread--the man seemed to have one all his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:06 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Its just that I'm guessing your not British and many of the refrences are directed at middle england (not really a sirprise even though it was on the world service it was the world service that became radio 4 and that prides itself on being the "heart of middle class Britian")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:54 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Sigsfried, I think I was thinking the same. I've had to ask British posters on other sites when I'm confused about something in Agatha Christie or Mapp and Lucia or any number of other books or movies.

Peter Wimsey shows are classic examples of having to pay very close attention and missing a good bit anyway--and Hamish Macbeth! Scottish accents and expressions are very difficult but what I do get from it is good.

And when there is closed captioning or subtitles, I'm not sure the captioner is hearing correctly. In fact, I almost know that some of the Holmes Granada folks are getting it wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:02 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Just wanted to make sure I hadn't offended you.
It is still a popular fact here that Kes had to have subtitles when ti went to America but as the ENO now has surtitles I don't think we can comment anymore.
If your on Radio 4 you might want to listen to I'm sorry I haven't a clue. Very funny full of inneuendo but not many cultutre refrences.
BTW It was H2G2 penultimate episode tonight :cry: so one more week then I miagine the CD's will be released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:21 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Seigfried, I'm confused and not an opera buff. They are usually in Italian or German, not English. I don't know that I'd welcome supertitles in opera because those that I have gone to, I kind of knew the story and didn't care about the fine details (I took voice and had to sing pieces).

Who or what is kes? I web-searched ONA. Already you're conducting British studies--though I guess I should know some of this if I were more worldly. I like it, though, and you aren't offensive at all from what I've seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:36 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well, I began reading Voltaire's Candide and it's disturbing, clever and it pulls you along--very bitter about war and the church's solutions to natural disasters. I can see why the man became such a political force.

I believe Durant's history of him said that in his sixties he had leaders from many nations writing to him and asking for advice and his home was always full of guests. This seems to have lead to him saying "May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies".

I can't say that he's my favorite because he's the first I've spent any time on but he seems to have an important view and tells it with a sense of humor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:37 am 
QuoteMistress
QuoteMistress

I would have to say Aristotle is my favorite, all he says is relevant and so true!!
Oh and I don't kow if u would call Paulo Coelho a phylosopher but I love his works :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I may start back at the beginning with Aristotle's history after Voltaire. Candide has convinced me that a philosopher can put his views out without stating them.

rnassar, from what I've seen Paulo Coelho is a philosopher, though I haven't read his writings--can you recommend one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:31 am 
QuoteMistress
QuoteMistress

The Alchemist would be a good book to dig into!!