Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 7:03 pm 

Well i have a question that I asked my English teacher which she could not answer, and she told me if i found the answer i would recive extra credit. So does anybody know if you put quotation marks around a person's thoughts in a short story? If anyone knows the answer please answer me. Thank You!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:15 pm 

I've seen various punctuation techniques used. Sometimes italics are used to show one's thoughts, separating them from the main narrative. Parentheses and quotation marks have also been used, e.g.:

There is nothing less expensive (I confess that I am really cheap) than true romance.

"I'm not really surprised," thought Sharon to herself.

Maybe some writers out there have ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:34 pm 

I've also seen it done with the little < and > marks, as well as '. Some, on Role Playing baords (which is where I AM most of the time) even use the astrics (*) for thoughts.

eg.:

Alliah kept walking down the narrow path towards her grandmother's house. <Man, I hope I'm not late again!> she thoguht, and started running.

George looke dat the test question and thought hard. 'Is the answer 2 pi squared, or just simply pi?' he asked himself.

Tears started to fill her eyes. *I really can't do this! I can't say goodbye!* she thought to herslef, then ran forward to embrace her best friend for the last time.

Tho usually in books I see them italicised (sp?), or with the ', or with the <>.

Jus' thought to be helpful. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:36 pm 

I've also seen it done with the little < and > marks, as well as '. Some, on Role Playing baords (which is where I AM most of the time) even use the astrics (*) for thoughts.

eg.:

Alliah kept walking down the narrow path towards her grandmother's house. <Man, I hope I'm not late again!> she thoguht, and started running.

George looke dat the test question and thought hard. 'Is the answer 2 pi squared, or just simply pi?' he asked himself.

Tears started to fill her eyes. *I really can't do this! I can't say goodbye!* she thought to herslef, then ran forward to embrace her best friend for the last time.

Tho usually in books I see them italicised (sp?), with the ', or with the <>.

Jus' thought to be helpful. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:04 am 

Thx toeveryone who posted it helped my grade a little bit.