Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Nietzsche
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:05 pm 

Is anybody here a fan of Frederich Nietzsche???

I would like to discuss his ideas...

Joy :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:29 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Joy,

I sent an email to your hotmail address with regards to Ayn Rand. I admire the value Nietzsche places upon man as an individual and creator, although fundamentally disagree with the Darwinistic 'survival of the fittest' elements in his philosophy. I've read, 'Thus Spoke Zarathustra', would anyone suggest anything else to read?

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:24 pm 

Fish Are Quick, I added you to my MSN but you are never online... I am almost always online.

I suggest that you read Beyond Good and Evil and/or The Antichrist.

There are certain elemnets in Nieztsche that I dont like, but I like his Darwinistic concept of Survival of the Fittest..

Joy :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 11:35 pm 

He says Zarathustra is the profoundest book ever came to man, or whatever.

I don't know.

I believe (and i have read a bit of this book, but couldn't make it all the way through), but i believe the tightrope walker symbolizes living simultaneously in the mind and body.

One of his peers criticized it, saying it's a great experiment of style- maybe next time he'll include some content. I believe Nietzsche is seeking what some call spirituality. I belive spirituality is this state of mind-und-body as the Deutsche would say, just kidding!

One of N's topics was Morality. Another was words can't be trusted. The meaning is distortable.

One of the Hardest sciences of the day is the science of the brain. I have read a great book "mapping the mind" by Rita Carter, full of illustration. I have seen other books by people like Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi, who study optimal performance in life.

I think if N were alive today, he, being the literature/knowledge fan he was, would be taken by this stuff. I believe it is near the day after tommorrow that Nietzsche talks about (there was a movie made by that name!), where there are hundreds of people of the brain power of N, but many are in states of exile, silence and cunning, choosing not to speak and be persecuted, ridiculed, banished, etc. Many probably have never even heard of Nietzsche. It's probably in our school systems so that kids get his themes without the source. In fact, Nietzsche was not influenced by Nietzsche, remember.

I think Nietzsche understood emotion. He was emotionally intelligent and understood dominance and submission of individuals and classes. He understood language can be used to persuade. And sometimes this language enters the realm of morality.

I believe N activated parts of his brain, higher "circuits" in the language of Robert Anton Wilson. The first circuit is instinct, the second, emotion, the third language, the fourth morality. Note as you age, you talk more about the morality of things. No black and white.

I think N was about self-mastery, so would be into yoga, and that kind of thing. He's about taking abstract ideas and making them into flesh/muscle memory/neurology. Remember that mind-body thing i talked about. That's what that is. Ideas from the air transfered into body. But why use ideas? I would use them for health, wealth and relationships, for selfish and selfless reasons. I think N would have LOVED Napoleon Hill, who read a lot of philosophy and may have read N but made no reference.

N would have loved anybody who is a master, not as much concerened with the What but about the degree of mastery and skill. Power of art and expression, even through the mundane. He would have loved Rock and Roll and the individuality of americans these days.

But it all starts in the body, in the here and now. I wonder, did N forsee technology when he forsaw the future?

He believed in Evolution.

Don't let Nietzshce, or don't let literature generally take you from your mind and body togetherness. I think this is a particular challenge to the males. Literature is words, which is the software that programs your mind in the fashion related to autosuggestion. Which as a metaprogrammer always looking for better softward and new ideas and realities, it is good to explore N and literature and the influences of the past. But all this is dependent on mind and body and how your life is working in the now. I find in my life N is becoming pretty useless pretty quickly, but i will read his books way on down the road and maybe have new different understanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:34 pm 

Hey Fish Are Quick. You said you sent him a E-mail on Ayn Rand. I was wondering if you would send me a similar E-mail. My E-mail address is the_conquistador@hotmail.com. I would really, REALLY like to hear your thoughts on her writing. Also from the few passages I have seen with your name to the side of them you seem to be fairly intelligent. You have my respect (so far).

P.S. P2, I enjoyed what you wrote also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:48 am 

I was just wondering if anyone has any good books NOT writen by Nietzsche himself but explore his concepts and ideas. If so I would like ot hear of this book. If not could you inform me Nietzsche's main book.