Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Machiavelli
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:01 pm 

Has anyone realized the literary and practical values of Machiavelli's writings? His Florentine history is the most interesting history book I have read in my life, the Prince is a masterpiece, and the Art of War is remarkably prophetic. What do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:56 pm 

I read an article three or four years ago about how popular his writings are becoming among the ambitious but ethically challenged in business. By thinking of all others, including family and 'co-workers', as real or potential enemies his writings are seen as a blueprint for doing to others before they have a chance to do to you. I have met some people who seem to live by this model and may well be satisfied with what their life brings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:27 pm 

:mrgreen: I [b]LOVE[/b] you!!!!!! :mrgreen: 1 ..sorry about that, but I havn't seen a post that hasn't even touched the italian whom I idol for his cunning, but crude sense of power and how to execute it! Thank YOU!!!
I havn't read Art of War, but I reccomend reading a summary of the Mandrake Root and Discourses on Livy when you get the chance. He also wrote a comedy, believe it or not, its Comedia di Callimaco: E di Lucretia which was also a play. The Prince is my favorite. :wink:
What's your favorite quote? I like " Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are." It came from the Prince, according to this website. I din't remeber reading it in there, but hey. *shrugs*
It's true to me, people could often care less to get to know you if they don't like what they see. It might not apply to all out there, but it has a good chunka truth to it, huh? :wink:
:mrgreen: Thank you for putting him in here, I probably would have got around to it...eventually. :P
Thanks again,
Jess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:29 am 

I've done a literature and history degree, and Machievelli (excuse sp) is very important for both courses.... from Shakespeare to Mac's role in shaping the Renaissance world... and Mac's influences become important too.

I'm currently reading The Prince, rather than using it in secondary sources like I did for some of my work, and it's very interesting so far, although I'm only at the beginning!

Nice post you started btw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:06 pm 

i read it ( i couldn't i? i'm italian :P ) and i think that through his work u can feel the sense of disappointment he heard in that period of his life and at the same time the love he felt for a nation that never existed and never will exist :( i don't agree with him about the "modus operandi" (= way to act) but i appreciate very much his love for italy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I liked the Prince, I read it around the same time as I completed a Renaissance project for A Level History. It is a key text in politics (real politik), philosophy, history etc. I was fairly surprised how readable it was- his style is rather mischevious, though his message is both candid and sincere. Pity the whole Cesare Borgia empire didn't work out and the de Medici were less than forgiving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:48 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

'his message is both candid and sincere'
i've not read any of Machiavelli's work @ all i know of him is just his association with wrongdoing etc. - is this t true mettle of t man ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I've always felt that Machiavelli's work was misunderstood. The man was absolutely brilliant when it came to observing human societal behaviour and categorizing the results based on historical precedent. He was not, however, a wrongdoer as patsm had been told and I disagree with ebonyjester regarding his "cunning but crude sense of power and how to execute it."

Machiavelli merely wrote on the actions that he saw governments take, what worked, what didn't, and what to bear in mind as a government in power.

He's associated with wrongdoing and the ambitious and ethically challenged because that what he was writing about: human societies through the ages.