Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:26 pm 

:D SUCESS:
How do people define it? What is the magnitude to which SUCCESS can extend? Is it money? or fame? or what?
A famous person said: "To do today's work well, & not 2 bother about tomorrow is the secret of success"
Another person quoted: "SUCCESS is in the mind & not in external things or pleasures"
>> Note that the first quote defines the path 2 success and the second one the mind state after success..

But nothing points towards what exactly success is? WHAT DO YOU THINK? MAIL ME or reply by posting here...

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:35 pm 

Nothing could point towards what exactly is success, as there can't be a finite definition for it. There would be a completely different answer given by each person that the question was posed to. I think that people define it differently because everybody is their own person. Experiences and even personality effect their conclusion to what success is, how they will come by it and how great it will be. Personally, I think that success is only limited by our thoughts on how far our capabilities can take us- that's why everything to do with success it differs so greatly from person to person... somebody else will have a very different view to me. In that case: success is your own, you build it and can make it as big as you wish it to be.

Post subject: SUCCESS !
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:38 am 

:D SUCCESS according to me is in the mind.. What you think forms your success... How do you look at life? your experiences? your past? your present? your expectations in the future?
> That is SUCCESS if you see yourself happy and content with what you have..

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:39 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

There's a quote that goes something like this "Success is peace of mind in knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming." And i believe that is what success is. Sometimes we may not accomplish, but just putting forward the greatest effort that you can in my book, considered grand. Some people never do their best and settle for mediocrity. Some people do accomplish and their accomplihsments and substandard, ill gotten, and leave much to be desired. Would this be success?? I personally don't think so. So like i said... To me suceess is giving your grandest most honorable effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:57 am 

I believe success is a sketchy word because its definition isn't solid. I agree with sapphire said about success.
Achieving the goals you set forth for yourself, this to me is success. And everyone has a different goal in life, so everyone's idea is differnt I feel.

~Markis Dorkis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:27 pm 

This is sort of on your subject. I am currently reading a book about people that reached fame in the past and can easily be considered succesful. It is called Profiles of power & success : fourteen geniuses who broke the rules by Landrum, Gene N. It has people like Napoleon Bonaparte, Pablo Picasso, Amelia Earhart, and Adolf Hitler. It really is quite interesting. I would suggest if you are interesting in the comman factors in these people lifes. Also I think success is only possible if you have a set goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hmm guys.. here's my answer:
I think success can't be defined. Every person is successfull when he has reached what he intended to. For example:
Shoplifter: He wants to shoplift, when he do it, he is happy that he succeeded and he know he's successfull.
Killer: He kills someone, he is happy then and he is so happy about himself that he is successful!
Runner at olympics: He made world record, he is successful!
Me: I have finnaly made my bread for breakfast because I'm hungry!! I'm successfull :D

See? Everyone is successful for anything else he thinks he should be and he wants to do. Notice that none person I wrote above would consider himself as a successful if he would reach anything the other person did.
For example, Killer wouldn't care if he made world record or runner would never be happy from shoplifting. That's my point of view at success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:42 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Here are a few quotes with some interesting ideas on success.

The logic of worldly success rests on a fallacy: the strange error that our perfection depends on the thoughts and opinions and applause of other men! A weird life it is, indeed, to be living always in somebody else's imagination, as if that were the only place in which one could become real
~Thomas Merton

Success is not a destination that you ever reach. Success is the quality of your journey.
~Jennifer James

I personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings.
~Margaret Mead

How can they say my life is not a success? Have I not for more than sixty years got enough to eat and escaped being eaten?
~Logan Smith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 5:03 am 

In this world there are only two ways of getting on-either by one's own industry or by the imbecility of others~Jean de la Bruyere, Caracteres.

Success has always been a geat liar~Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil.

Success is the necessary misfortune of life, but it is only to the very unfortunate that it comes early.~Anthony Trollope, Orley Farm.

All you need in life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.~Mark Twain, letter to Mrs. Foote, 2 Dec. 1887.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:05 pm 

Quote:
How do people define it? What is the magnitude to which SUCCESS can extend? Is it money? or fame? or what?
A famous person said: "To do today's work well, & not 2 bother about tomorrow is the secret of success"
Another person quoted: "SUCCESS is in the mind & not in external things or pleasures"

A famous person also said, "visit my site, or else all that is wrong will become all that is all"

Honestly, can't people speak for themselves once in a while. Why must you quote other's if you feel your opinion matters?

-Dan

http://geocities.com/striped_tiger_man/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:33 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Flametree85 wrote:
personally measure success in terms of the contributions an individual makes to her or his fellow human beings.
~Margaret Mead

what do you think about mead's theory of "self" ? have you ever heard blumer and goffman too ?

Post subject: What is success
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:47 am 

The key to success love what u r doing and do do what u love'
and the happiness that u gain in doing some action is the key to success, read :bhagavad gita' and u will gain success in a charismatic way this is out of experience not out of philosophy neither out of just theory and neither out of mystery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:11 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I believe success, like rakeshinnovation said, is doing what you love, and also, earning and valueing your leisure time, which I, and many others I'm sure, have yet to achieve.

Post subject: success
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:59 am 

One of my FAVORITE poems!

SUCCESS

To laugh often and much;
to win the respect of intelligent people
and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics
and endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better,
whether by a healthy child,
a garden patch
or a redeemed social condition;
to know even one life has breathed easier
because you lived.
This is to have succeeded.

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:55 am 

Success is a state of the mind. Simply put, if you think you're on the winning side you've definitely reached the top of Mount Everest. Nothing, yes nothing, can stop you from becoming what you endeavor to become. This obviously means you have to know what you want out of life in the first place.