Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Macbeth
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 6:49 pm 

In my opinion, Macbeth could be the single most qualitative piece of literature ever written. It displays the full array of human emotions, including an entirely different hidden storyline in the form of a comedy.

"Lay on Macduff, and damned be he that say halt!"
"Out, out, Damn spot! Will not all the perfumes of Arabia get thee out?"
"Ah! Ah! There is blood on mine hands!"
"Thou shalt not be defeated till Birnham Woods come to Dunsedane."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:06 pm 

no way! it has to be one of the most depressing plays ever written : all about corruption, murder and witchcraft. Not exactly inspiring...

still thats only one person's oppinion. everyone else probably loves it! oh well! :roll:

Post subject: Macbeth
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:56 pm 

are you joking? it is great, only surpassed by Hamlet. do you not understand it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:14 pm 

I hate this play with a passion!!!

Post subject: Why?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:44 pm 

Why do you hate it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:02 am 

thankyou- im glad someone agrees! I agree shakespeare has talent and all that, and macbeth is very cleverly written, but it is just SO depressing! Why wud anyone want to read it??? Its so negative!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:18 pm 

Well, I happen to think that Macbeth is quite depressing, seeing how Macbeth betrays and kills his king, being so easily persuaded by his wife, and then the murder of Banquo and Macduff's family, and Macbeth turning to evildoing. I did not find it to display the full aray of human emotion. Most of the emotions, I thought, were skewed to the angry, demonic, greedy, lustful side. I didnt' see much, if any, of the other extreme, being ecstasy, love, happines, etc. Also, I did not see a hidden comedy, but then again, I read it in 11th grade English and wasn't to keen on the details or the subtleties, so maybe you, Machiavelli, could enlighten me and the rest of us on how you view the play. This spurs my interest.

Post subject: Comedy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:31 pm 

Fine I will enlighten the lot of you. I read it in sixth grade english then again and again, so had time to notice the subtleties.

-What is funnier than the irony of a naive man lured by a cynical wife to commit a heinous crime? And on top of that he is haunted by a ghost of the murders he commited! Ha!

-The language is subtly funny. For example, Lady Macbeth searches for the perfumes of Arabia to get out a bloodstain, when water is the logical choice. The witches ask each other when shall we three meet again, thunder, lightning, or in rain? Can you imagine something more ridiculous than that...

-Besides, it goes to tell the idiocy that men commit at the behest of fortune tellers. The witches could have told Macbeth, "Hail Macbeth, king of the Cliff", and surely, Macbeth would be convinced by his wife to jump off a cliff.

-On top of that, the exact words, if noticed, are gibberish even in Shakespeare's language. He simply wrote them to see what some pompous idiots could decipher from them.

-But then again, not many people appreciate ironic dramas. Oh well.

Now it is not depressing until you take everything literally. The comedy of errors is a great thing. Which is why, in my youth growing up in Bulgaria, my friends and I used to sneak into the courtrooms to watch the divorce proceedings of Gypsy couples. They were very funny. I recall the judge asked the man "What is your father's name?". The man replied, "You actually think I know my own father." Very funny. But some people could see them as depressing

Post subject: Macbeth - Comedy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:47 am 

Indeed it is comical, do not forget about the porter who comes in after Duncan's murder. That was funny...

I think that it does give an indepth view of the human mind, because with power comes corruption. Depending on the situation, we all have a little Macbeth in us.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find the meaning in the suffering."

Anubis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:21 am 

anubis, if u havent already, read dr jekyll and mr hyde by robert louis stevenson. I think u would love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:02 pm 

Why do you assume I would love it?

Anubis

"It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:38 pm 

we were studying it at school. at first i hated it, but now after i've done all this work on it i love it. its got similar themes to macbeth- evil, corruption, and its really clever how everything is so well thought out. everything has meaning and purpose to develop his ideas further. its still not my idea of a "riveting read" but now i understand it more i can appreciate it and see how good it is.

Post subject: Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 5:12 pm 

That is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:56 pm 

how do you mean?