Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:59 pm 

Ok, so I know this is probably an over-done topic, but I'm new, so cut me some slack. I love the lord of the rings. I have read the series several times....almost 10 times a book. However, some of my friends, intrigued by the movie, tried to read them and found them too detailed and long-winded. What does everyone else think? Is Tolkien an undefeated god of literature, or someone with a long and rambling over-active imgination. Do the movies do the books justice...do the books do the movies justice? And, does anyone else love the books as I? I really want to know your opinions! [/i]

Bethany

Post subject: I <3 LOTR!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:02 pm 

I think the movies do the books justice. Even though I love both the movies and books equally (for different reasons), most people would prefer the movies. I say Tolkien is undefeated god of lit., but sometimes he does tend to drag on about descriptions. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 3:54 pm 

I think that he is a great author. I have enjoyed his books very much (and although I do not think movies give enough detail from the books they are from, I think they did a wonderful job on the movies. They were a little long, but it did them justice). Since I'm a book junkie, most people would probably not think the same about his books. Though I do have to agree that he can go into extended, and sometimes unnecessary, detail. He gives exceptional description in his writings but they can sometimes go way off of what he was saying in that section and bore the reader. Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:19 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Hi All...
I would like to differ on this one... I don't think the Movies do justice with the books... Orignality and presentation is what makes them different, craze drives us to Movie Halls...
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:49 pm 

I have some twisted feelings about lotr. I read the book only once, and I read it after I've seen all three movies, so that makes things quite different.
Sometimes while reading I found the things that were not in the movies too much, but then it was also great to get more information.

However, on one hand I think that Tolkien wrote a huge masterpiece, creating all new worlds, languages, legends, people, creatures and so on. On the other hand it bothers me that people nearly see it as a religion. But that has of course nothing to do with whether he is a genious or not.

As for the book vs. the movies: I think the movies are done incredibly well, even if they invented some things and left other things completely away, but regarding the extent of the book they did a great job.

I must confess, I will not read the book again, or at least not in the near future, but I still think it is a good story with good moral principles on friendship, love and of course the good old good vs. evil. Additionally, I think with Eowyn and Faramir, he created one of the most beautiful couples in literature.
:)

Post subject: lotr
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:05 am 

i found it a lot easier to read the book a second time after seeing the movies, the first time i read it i found it hard to understand and often skipped parts. If you look at other books, i.e silmarillion he has definately created his own mythology, language and religion. i was surprised that i found Shakespeare understandable after Tolkien so i recomend building it up: Orwell, Tolkien, Shakespeare. After that every book makes sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:01 pm 

Well....when someone does not approve of someone's opinion and of course does not hold their opinion, it is easy to point to the author of a book and criticize his or her writing methods. Like any author Tolkien can tend to "ramble on", but don't mistake me, I believe he is a legend. It is not everyday that someone can create a world so vivid as his own.

The world is unfortunetly moving away from the conventional means of reading and information, take this response for example. Books are getting pushed away into a small stuffy cabinet and are being replaced with CD's, DVD's, and of coure the Internet. So it is little wonder that people don't have the capacity to sit down anymore and read a book when they could go down to the local store and watch the movie version.

One of the reasons that the people don't like Tolkiens work could be that they like other topc areas, and it also depends on their age and intelluactual capacity and their ability to identify what is a masterpiece in literature terms and what is just a simple-minded comic book which was created for the purpose of amusement and not knowledge extention.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:17 am 

i do agree that you need a larger intelectual level to read lord of the rings. Books are still prevalent in todays media and will never be replaced by film. I do believe though that films do have a certain level of value and cannot be dismissed so easily.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:32 pm 

I guess the advantage of a film compared to a book is that it can give you "the story" in a span of 2-3 hours, while in a book that could take days of reading. On the other hand, that same fact can be turned around, as someone could argue that this is actually the book's advantage.

And let's not forget that a film is "ready" material, that is the director's viewpoint. By reading a book, the imagination (the built-in director in our heads) can select all details at will..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:08 am 

Although the film is presented according ot the director i believe Peter Jackson did a very good job of keeping the book to its original meaning where other directors have failed. the film "charlie and the chocolate factory" is an example of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:33 pm 

I think the book was much better then the movies. I like all the details that the book offers. The movie is great because it gets almost every part of the book to the script.

Sorry for not having so good english. I am 15 years and from norway so :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:39 am 

I know that very few of my friends have been able to read Lord of the Rings and it is very long winded and not the easiest to follow as his descriptions are certainly very lengthy but I do love Lord of the RIngs and have read it myself nearly every year since I was nine so...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:20 am 

Before I make my post id like to just point this out. When you make posts which are in excess of two paragraphs, it gets really annoying to read. Not to mention you people use gigantic words with like twenty letters when a much simpler word which means the same thing could of been used. With that said, LOTR is a great serious, I did get bored of it though. It just doesnt appeal to me :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:35 pm 

The books, as I am a bibliophile (lover of books) were better than the movies. However, Peter Jackson did do justice to the books.

Tolkien is a god of literature, and he did an amazing job on the books.

Post subject: Lord of the Rings
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:50 pm 

I too, am a Lord of the Rings fan. I have taken many quotes from him and use them often. I attempted to read the books, but found that they were to detailed. Yes, they were good, and the movies don't do the books justice. I heard recently, that they plan to remake the movies, and write the scripts word for word. I think that would be awesome, but oh my, will they be long movies. I think they said that it would turn into 20 hours of film if they do that for all the books.

Simple wishes,
The Raven :)