Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: The Wheel of Time
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:38 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I just got The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. So, has anyone else read any of the Wheel of Time books and did you like them?
"And the Shadow fell upon the Land, and the World was riven stone from stone. The oceans fled, adn the mountains were swallowed up, and the nations were scattered tot eh eight corners of the World. The moon was as blood, and the sun was as ashes. The seas boiled, and the living envied the dead. All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the Shadow and the Breaking of the World. And him they named Dragon."~ The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2004 3:00 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Dear Perfectionist,

Yes, I have read them all apart from the 10th book (in actual fact a prequal) and in so far as fantasy goes I think they're the best series you'll find. I'm a self-confessed realist these days, but I have to admit that the character of Rand al'Thor is admirable and as the books progress you'll see what I mean, there's a heroic austerity that really makes him seem possible.

-fish are quick!

Post subject: Wheel of Time
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:33 pm 

The Wheel of Time series is excellent. Jordan does a great job of developing his characters, and you'll probably be impatient with Rand's power (or lack of it) until about the 6th book. My only complaint: I started reading the series in 1992, and Jordan still hasn't finished it, which means--between long intervals before a new book is published--you have to re-read a few of the books to get back into it. But you should enjoy it, especially if you like epic fantasy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 12:26 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I just finished The Eye of the World and I have to say, it was great! I usually don't read fantasy books but well, I guess that's going to change. I am going to start The Great Hunt now.