Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Troy, The Movie
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 6:13 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I went to see the film, Troy. It was incredible. Has anyone else seen it. Brad Pitt was one of the guys inside the Trojan Horse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 5:12 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have seen it and it was pretty good though parts of it were historically incorrect. The real Achilleus (Brad Pitt) was acutally killed by Paris before the Trojan Horse was made and Paris was killed as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:14 pm 

Saw it last night. It was OK, but was hyped too much. Brad Pitt was awful. The guy who played Hector was good, though. All in all, I wouldn't recommend it -- except for Josh Groban singing the song "Remember" at the end (while the credits rolled) -- that made everything worthwhile. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:10 pm 

I saw it last week and thought it was all right. It was a nice mindless movie to help you take your mind off things, but it wasn't anything to get excited about. Although I did think several of the hairstyles on the women were quite pretty :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:50 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have recently watched another version on DVD that is titled, Helen of Troy. It is a bit more in line with the actual story. The woman who plays Helen is certainly more attractive (IMO) than the woman in TROY. I enjoyed both films immensely.

I thought Brad Pitt did more than a credible job. I would go as far to say that I thought it was his most convincing role. Why? He was physically cast in such a way that he was not only a hero but a demigod as well.

The art of the weaponry was astounding. The unique use of the sheilds added some zest to the action. Archery was used in such a martial way that it was quite impressive. The scenery was breathtaking. The fortress or castle of Troy was collosal. The magnitude of the fleet of ships on the sea would challenge the imagination. The actual ships used in the film appeared to be very realistic. The military tactics were also realistic and well executed. TROY ranks as one of my favorite films of all times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:03 pm 

If you are gay i would reccomend it. I thought is was a very homo movie made for preteen girls. Biggest waste of money, in my life

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:36 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Jonb955 wrote:
If you are gay i would reccomend it. I thought is was a very homo movie made for preteen girls. Biggest waste of money, in my life

One would assume that you feel that those of us who enjoyed the movie, TROY, are gay.

Is that why the Illiad is required reading in most High Schools? The last time some poor misguided fool made an implication that I was gay he found himself cross-eyed from starring at the muzzled of Colt Diamondback .38. (That was in the year of 1991).
----------------------

"There is no pact between lions and men."

Achilles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 8:57 pm 

Winnow wrote:
Saw it last night. It was OK, but was hyped too much. Brad Pitt was awful. The guy who played Hector was good, though. All in all, I wouldn't recommend it -- except for Josh Groban singing the song "Remember" at the end (while the credits rolled) -- that made everything worthwhile. :D

I fully agree. Josh Groban’s singing was exquisite. As for the rest of the movie, I thought it had misguided direction. It was definitely the most glamorous film ole’ Wolfy has made, but certainly wasn’t one of his best. Aside from Groban’s solo the cinematography was all this entire movie had going for it. This movie seemed to place style over substance.

Last edited by THX1139 on Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:15 am 

It was entertaining, no more, no less.

For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake.~Alfred Hitchcock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:29 am 

Al would have a cow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 2:01 am 

I would agree with most of the critcism about the film. It lost a good bit of the nature of the Iliad by making the story seem to take place in a few days rather than the 9 years+ that led up to the sack of Troy. Hector did not kill Menalaus (or Menalalos in some versions) After the fall of Troy Menalaus returned home with Helen who became the dutiful and seemingly repentant wife ( the Oddessy quotes her saying :' Slut that I am' and I am as a bitch') Helen did not love Paris. In the Iliad, after he agrees to face Menalaus, with the winner to claim Helen and tribute from the losing side, Paris gets slapped around by Menalaus and then is saved by the gods. Helen then gives him hell for claiming to be a far better fighter than Menalaus, wishes she had never come to Troy, said all the wives and servants would now laugh at her (yes Helen, it's all about you, isn't it?), and says she wishes Paris had died like a man rather than shame them. As pointed out, Paris and Achiellius never saw the sack of Troy. Sorry to go on about a movie that wasn't too bad in its own right, but I wish they would stick closer to the story the original author created or make up a story of their own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:41 pm 

I have to agree that the movie was great. But it would have been better had they made it more historically accurate, especially about the time it took to sack Troy.

Other than that, and minor details, it was supreme acting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:09 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yes, I agree it was very gay movie, but I liked it anyway. I'm a movie-maker, so I was watching the movie from my point of view :) The cameras were amazing! They must have used either very nice computer graphic animation with very realistic light system or many choppers flying over a real stage :D and the boats were nice made too ;)

Last edited by RiMMER on Tue May 17, 2005 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:48 am 

I suppose if one would expect a movie to be different from it's original story--which by now people should considering some of the things Hollywood has done--then perhaps they could appreciate the movie more.
I for one don't (or didn't) know the story of Troy and therefore found the movie to be fantastically entertaining. I thought it had amazing acting, incredible fight scenes and a more than interesting storyline. On the other hand I can see how those who do know the story of Troy would be utterly disgusted as I have been with certain movies that were nothing like their original story.
I don't understand why if a story is a best-seller, or a piece of history, Hollywood feels they have to change it.