Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Harry Potter kicks arse!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:50 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Which do you like better? The Harry Potter books or movies, if you like either, that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:16 pm 

I can't seem to avoid your topics, Kujo!

I definitely prefer the HP BOOKS. I inevitably visualize the books I read, and these books are especially fun to visualize. Those moving stairs and interactive portraits were much more gratifying as created by my imagination than they were on the big screen. I find this to be true with most book-to-movie combinations.

Now it's your turn, Kujo... which do you prefer??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm just awesome, aren't I?

Anyway, I have to agree with you. The movies are good, but the books are much better. Its so much fun to envision the situations while you're reading them. I am interested to see how the fourth book is turned into a movie, and even more interested to see if they can make it PG-rated.

But I am concerned about the upcoming third movie. The Prisoner of Azkaban was my favorite book, and I just don't want the movie to ruin it.

What's your favorite book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:15 pm 

:| Oh dear, Kujo... we might be parting ways! The first book was my favorite. I haven't even read the most recent one yet. I do have it penciled in as one of my summer reads for this year, though.

My turn for a question... have you seen or read The Lord of the Rings trilogy? If so, how do you compare it with the Harry Potter series?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 8:44 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well, I'm going to be honest. I never actually read the first book. 8O <exasperated gasp>. I know, I know. So, I should say that the third is my favorite book out of all the one's that I have read.

I am in the middle of the fifth right now, and you should definitely read it. As of now, it is incredible.

And now to answer your question. I read the first two books, and saw both of the corresponding movies, but have neither read nor seen the third one. But, whatever. The first two book swere great, and even the movies weren't horrible, as book-movies typically are.

I'm just not sure whether its better than the Harry Potter series. I think the Lord of the Rings is more dynamic to Harry Potter, and there seems to be more character development and thinks like that. But on the other hand, Harry Potter is just more enjoyable. I don't know why.

You're thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:34 pm 

At first, it was just a string of absolutely wonderful stories. But I've seen in the fourth and fifth book that J.K. Rowling is not only a good story-teller now, but she has progressed into an absolutely fantastic writer with a wonderful style. In fact, the only complaint I have with her style of writing is that she uses far too many adverbs following quotations ("he said angrily," etcetera).

My favorite list goes in this order: third, fifth, first, fourth, second. All of them are great reads, but I've never had trouble comparing each book in how well its story was told (or rather, how good its story was).

I'm not a particular fan of the movies; they leave far too much out, yet they're still too long. It's an awful cycle: I want to see the whole books, but I also want to get home and make some tea. :mrgreen:

-Mitchell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 8:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Welcome to the Literature Page, Pun. I have to agree with you on the Harry Potter movies. They are way too long for leaveing so much out. Personally, I always wanted to see the movie's interpretation of Peeves the Poultergeist.

I also noticed that with her books. I am in the middle of the fifth, and you're right; particularly in the fourth and fifth, they are awesome on so many levels.

Do you like Lord of the Rings, Pun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:34 am 

I'm a bit ashamed to say that I've never actually read the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I had read the Hobbit long before the recent fuss over the series (mainly due to the movies). However, I never got to starting The Fellowship of the Ring until after the movie came out. My sister has always owned the books, so when I came down with a nasty bout with a virus, I got the first book out and started reading. I was around half-way through the book when I started feeling better, and once I did (being that it was summer), rather than continuing to read, I went outside with my friends and, of course, "ran about." :mrgreen:

I never got to finishing the book, or even getting along with the trilogy (in fact, my bookmark is probably still in the first one). It isn't that I don't like the books (I enjoyed the first part of the Fellowship better than its movie counterpart); rather, I can't quite explain why I never returned to them. I mean, I love reading in the summer (out on the ol' porch, especially during a storm). It was just supernatural the way I never returned to this one. :lol:

-Mitchell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:26 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I know what you mean! If it weren't for summer reading, I probably wouldn't read during the summer either, and I want to be an English teacher when I grow up :lol:. I couldn't even bring myself to read Harry Potter this past summer, which I am infatuated with. I should probably work on that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:17 pm 

Kujo: When do you plan on growing up?? :wink: Your postings here seem grown-up enough to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 3:21 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thanks, Quest :D

That made me laugh! If only my family could say that to me every once in a while...

Oh, and that essay should be ready soon, just in case you're still interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:18 am 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

What craze for the Harry Potter, i just saw the first Movie Part . I havn't read any books yet on Harry Potter. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:49 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You should. Someone said earlier that at first they just seem like separate, really cool stories. But, upon reading the fourth and fifth books, one sees that everything in JK Rowling's world is connected. They're really awesome books!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:42 am 

Well, I do prefer the books to the movies! But I think the publisher might be wasting too much paper by printing such wide gaps between lines! 8)

The Lord of the Rings's differences between HP are the language and the "genre". The language of LOTR is more 'profound' and 'mythological', and although both belong to the fantasy genre, LOTR can be a lot more matured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:23 pm 

Welcome to the forum, T'fan!

After reading your contrast of the two works, I was left wondering if HP might serve as somewhat a 'farm club' for the Trilogy. Today's HP kids are tomorrow's adventurers into Middle Earth!!

I look forward to reading your future posts!