Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:59 pm 

All the classic--ie good--Disney movies came out while Walter Disney was still living. After his death, Disney's main concentration became money, and the quality of Disney films began to slip, and is still falling.

As for death patterns in Disney movies:
In every Disney movie, except Mulan, either a main character, semi-main character, or someone close to a character is known to be dead/dies during the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:39 am 

You were picking on Disney's The Hunchback of Notredame before for totally changing the orignal story, I rember a version of The Little Mermaid where The mermaid gave her voice to the sea witch, as in the movie, however also every step that she took felt like a thousand knives were cutting her feet etc and she was in constant pain in pursuing the love of the prince and if she failed in 'winning' his love she would return to sea and disolve in to sea foam.
The prince and his family consider the mermaid a simple mute and the prince ends up falling for a nun who resembles the mermaid and who he thinks is the woman who rescued him earlier. The nun at first cannot marry the prince because she is a nun, however in the end she does and the mermaid disolves in to sea foam.
The moral of this story seems to be to put girls of of aiming to high in who they want to marry and saying stick to guys who your parents can afford the dowry for (i dunno, just guessing) but the mermaid gives up one thing which truely defines her (her vioce) for the sake of her 'love' the moral of this story seems to be: be realisitc, following silly passions such as love will only make you loose your own sense of identity, cause you a lot of pain and then kill you, whereas Disney's story i tells people to follow thier passions to find true happiness and that good always overcomes evil.

Has anyone else heard my version of the original Little Mermaid? I haven't heard it in a long time so my details probably aren't great, but how could Disney interpret that story in the way that they do and still give it the same title?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:53 am 

Update: I found that the orignal version is by Hans Chirstian Anderson