Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Who can do me a favor?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:19 am 

:) Hello, everyone from all over the world. I am Sophie, a Chinese girl. I am in Beijing now. It's so nice to meet you all here and make friends with you. I am preparing to sit the entrance exam for Master Degree course in English Major in two weeks. But there are some questions that I still can't answer. As a Chinese, the following questions are difficult for me, but maybe they are quite easy for Americans or British people. Could anybody do me a favor? I would be much much grateful if anyone can help me in answering the following questions.

Questions:

1)In Roman Mythology, ____ was often portrayed as a chubby naked infant with wings holding a bow and arrows.
2)____ is a member of a youth movement of the late 1960s that was characterized by nonviolent anarchy, concern for the environment, and rejection of Western materialism .
3)___ lies west of Broadway and Lower East Side . It attracts artists, writers, musicians, actors, and other people in the arts.
4)___ is a word for a young, ambitious , educated city dweller who has a professional career and a prosperous lifestyle. The word was coined in the late 1970s in America in reponse to the growing population of this kind of young people.
4)Forty - ____ were gold-seekers who rushed to California after gold was discovered there in 1848.
5)____ , an African-American Baptist minister, was the main leader of the ____ rights movement in the United States during the 1950s and 1960s.
6)On Aug.28, 1963, over 2000000Americans including many whites, gathered at the Lincoln memorial in Washington D.C. The high point of the rally was the stirring speech "I have a ____ "given by ____.
7)____ has made what are regarded as the most important discoveries about gravity since Albert Einstein invented general relativity, and his work supported the theory that the universe began in a big___.
8)___ is the name of a street in New York which since the 1980s has become famous as a symbol of commercial theatre in the USA.
9)____ is a group of long-established and prestigious colleges in New England USA.

10)Texas is famous for three of the following except___
A.unrestricted gambling B.cowboy tradition
C.many millionaires D.oil industry

Post subject: Answers
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:05 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Lusophie

Some further information;

2. This isn't enough to identify an individual. It could refer to the hippie movement. The answer would then be a hippie.

9. The Ivy League, whose institutions include Yale and Harvard.

10. Nevada is the state famous for gambling, especially in Las Vegas.

Good luck in your exams!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:42 pm 

Thank you very much for your answers and information. Here are some other questions. I hope these are the last questions that I bother you.

1)Which of the following is the doctrine that the existence of God and other spiritual beings is neither certain nor impossible?
A.theism B.atheism C.septicism D.agnosticism

2)Which of the follwing American Protestant groups maintained a distinctive and conservative agricultural way of life despite the influences of modern industrial society?
A.The Amish B.Jehovah's Witnesses C.Quakers D.Mormons

3)Which of the following did not take place in the United States in the 1960s?
A.the Anti-Vietman War Movement
B.the Anti-drug Movement
C.woman's liberation movement
D.public protests by blacks and other minority groups

4)Filling in the blank:
____is a member of a Christian church called the Society of ____ that believe in simple manners and clothes and simple religious services.

Post subject: Answers
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:46 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

No trouble at all, Lusophie

1. Agnosticism. Agnostics are unsure of the existence of a God.
(Scepticism is spelled with another c!)

2. The Amish Folk do not use modern inventions and rely on horses for their farmwork.

3. Anti-drugs movement did not take place.
(Viet Nam is spelled like this or as Vietnam!)

4. A Quaker is a member of a Christian church called the Society of Friends that believes in simple manners and clothes and simple religious services.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 6:27 pm 

Thank you very much. Maybe I will go back to this forum after the exam.
See you then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:52 am 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Gr8 work Henry and Mariantionette. :D