Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Translation
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:47 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Does anyone knows what this says? I got it from a book I had been reading.

Les triomphe de la philosophie serait de jeter du jour sur l'obscurite des voies dont la providence se sert pour parvenir aux fins qu'elle se propose sur l'homme, et de tracer d'apres cela quelque plan de conduite qui put faire connaitre a ce malheureux individu bipede, prepetuellement ballotte par les caprices de cet etre qui dit-on le dirige aussi despotiquement, le maniere dont il faut qu'il interprete les decrets de cette providence sur lui.

De Sade, Les Infortunes de la Vertu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:26 am 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Wow Man, No i dont know the translation to this, but it looks like French/Spanish to me.Waiting for the translation. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:51 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

hehe yeah it is French it is an exeprt from one of the Marque De Sade's writings, it was used in a novel I am reading I just don't know what it says and was hoping someone would be familler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 4:11 am 

This webpage states that this work is "not yet translated"
http://www.babelguides.com/view/person/22720

Google translates it as:

Quote:
The triumph of philosophy would be to throw day on the darkness of the ways of which providence is used for to arrive at the ends that it proposes on the man, and to trace according to that some plan of control which could make known with this unhappy biped individual, perpetually ballotté by the whims this being who, says one, directs it also despotically, the way in which it is necessary that it interprets the decrees of this providence on him, the road which it is necessary that it holds to prevent the odd whims of this fate to which one gives twenty different names, without to have still managed to define it.
http://www.lipsheim.org/foret/textes.htm

http://www.retrobbs.org/apollo/archive/may91/may22.html
The most famous of all Sade's works is the novel "Justine."
It is also probably the one he cared the most about -- Sade dedicated it to the faithful companion of the last twenty-five years of his existence, Marie-Constance Quesnet. It was also the book which caused him the most difficulty with the authorities during his lifetime.
Sade finished the first draft of this "philosophical novel" while he was a prisoner in the Bastille. Working uninterruptedly over the two-week period from June 23 to July 8, 1787, Sade completed the hundred-and-thirty-eight-page manuscript, which he entitled "Les Infortunes de la Vertu." Originally intended to become a part of the volume he was
then preparing, "Contes et fabliaux du XVIIIe siecle, this "first Justine" underwent considerable revision in the course of the following year, and Sade soon determined to strike it from his list of tales and make it a work unto itself.
http://www.retrobbs.org/apollo/archive/may91/may22.html[/quote]