Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: a book for class
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have to read a book in our English class and have to have the book in my hands when I walk into class next Wednesday. Here are a few choices that I have. What do you think is the most interesting? I like all kinds of books but prefer suspense and types like that.

All the King's Men
As I Lay Dying
Catch 22
Dracula
Fahrenheit 451
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Frankenstein
Gone with the Wind
Grapes of Wrath
Hobbit
Invisible Man
Kidnapped
Killer Angles
Nineteen Eighty-four
Of Mice and Men
Scarlet Letter
War and Pease
Wizard of Earthsea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

If you are drumming for high praise that goes along with a good grade for your choice then I would like to make a suggestion. Pick a literary work that the teacher would favor. Most teachers favor a literary classic. If I were faced with the choice of books that you listed then I would pick The Grapes of Wrath. You will find that it is not necessarily a pleasant book to read but there is much that is suggested between the lines. When I read it, about 1992, (long after I had been out of the formal classroom) I was challenged by the difficulty of getting through it. I found it downright toilsome to read. I bought the Cliff Notes to help me understand what the author was suggesting throuhout the story.

The easy choice would be Catch 22. I have also read most of Hemingway's books. The Old Man and the Sea is an easy read. I did my term paper on Hemingway in the 12th grade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:35 am 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

For Whom the Bell Tolls sounds interesting to me.
Do tell me, how it was after you have read it. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:11 pm 

I don't recommend Dracula, unless of course you are into gothic novels. Frankenstein is overrated, and not a good choice because your teacher might think you were taking the easy way out by picking a really short book. Same goes for the Hobbit, personally though I have loved that book since the fourth grade... and trust me and don't pick Gone With the Wind...sappiness at its best...
I'd go with a classic too, just not something incredibly boring. If you get a choice, choose something by Dickens or W.Collins...a lot of choices there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:18 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think that I will get the whole list and type it up on here. My teacher is adding a lot more books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:38 am 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Perfectionist16 just add a little info too, so we can browse through them. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:34 pm 

Perfectionist: Based on everyone's opinion that you should be trying to impress the teacher, I would recommend Hemingway also. You can find many classic literary themes and devices in his writings; yet his style is relatively straightforward (easy-to-read, in other words!) The Scarlet Letter is also a great story with great characters, timeless themes and a depth that can show off your skill with literary analysis. Some teachers have definite prejudices for or against American authors...does yours?

Like Ishrat, I hope you'll tell us what you chose and your reactions to it. Enjoy!

Last edited by Quest on Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 3:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think that I will read The Scarlet Letter. My teacher seemed to like it from his description. It sounds pretty good anyway. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 3:24 pm 

well enjoy!!! :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:57 pm 

Cool! Please remember to report back!

By the way.... I love the Steven Wright quote..... I still think of his line about eyeglasses..... "My prescription ran out.... I walked into a wall." What great delivery.

Give my regards to Opal............................