Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:15 pm 

First of all I want to say hello to everyone as I am new to this forum, and I'd also like to ask what you think about my proposed theme for the analysis of Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles. I'm thinking of pointing out the fact that Tess's progressively tragic life is in great part due to the fact tht society (especially of the time and especially for women) does not support the concept of immanent worth and that because of the desire to become more socially (because this is what, in this world, determines even personal worth), Tess is driven to take steps that are ultimately disastrous. I would also want to point out the fact that the upper classes of the time (personafied by D'urberville) reenforced this hierarchy to their convienience because they did not want to accept the equality between all individuals and therefore those pertaining to this class find their own sense of self-worth in attaining power and dominating those supposedly beneath them...
so, what do you think. please feel free to elaborate and give your perspectives, all opinions welcome..........................................thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:46 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Good idea, but I'd really draw heavily upon the gender issue, since at the time of writing Tess of the D'Urbervilles was a brave thing to write and critisized Alec and Clare for their hypocrisy and double standards.

-fish are quick!