Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:09 pm 

I think that steppenwolf would have benefitted from a few breaks during the latter 3/4 of the book. I guess it shouldn't matter too much, but I found that there wasn't a convenient place to stop reading, and I had a difficult time picking up where I left off.

I liked Siddhartha much more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:21 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Etania wrote:
People, what do you think of "Steppenwolf" by Hessen?

I first read Steppenwolf in 1989 (I think). It appealed to my dualistic nature. I became a fan of Hesse and read a good number of his other books. In Y2K I attempted to read it again but it did not appeal to me nearly as much.
----------------------

Books that I have read in 2004 include the following:

The Junction Boys, By Jim Dent
The King of Torts, By John Grisham
Dr. Atkins Diet Revolution, By Robert G. Atkins M.D.
Eat that Frog, By Brian Tracy
Looking for Alaska, By Peter Jenkins
I Am a Solider, Too, By Rick Bragg
Bhagavad-Gita, AS IT IS
Under the Banner of Heaven, By Jon Krakauer

Post subject: Currently Reading
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:35 pm 

Well, at the moment, I'm reading I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou, Phantoms by Dean Koontz, and The Rules of Surrender by Christina Dodd.

I'm new to these forums, so...Hi, all.

Angelou and Koontz is for my English III class - but I'm also reading both of them for pleasure, as well, so I'm killing two birds with one stone. And I'm reading Dodd's book for the fourth or fifth time. I just happen to love the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:52 pm 

I read Pride and Prejudice and I loved it. I also read Oliver Twist and right now I'm reading Wuthering Heights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:53 pm 

but I'm only going to grade 10 and it sure doesnt measure up to all you other people lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:56 am 

I just finished Gravity's rainbow and am struggling to get through Ulysses by James Joyce right now, the longest book ever (just because nothing actually happens in it, but it is amazingly written). And I am also just starting William T. Vollman's You Bright And Risen Angels, wich I think is a book everyone should try, but then again I prefer books written for style rather then ones that have a nice story (aspiring author).
I would also like to recommend anyone who hasn't read the Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon to go out and get it because it is probably the craziest book I've ever read, trust me it's worth the 2 hours it will take to read it (only 152 pages). So check that out, or if your more into the Stephen King, Michael Crichton thing then check out something by Chuck Palahniuk (he wrote fight club), well anyway that's about all I have to say right now. Hope you enjoyed it

Post subject: Months' Reading
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:21 pm 

I changed my book for my English assignment to Hamlet by Shakespeare. I'm also reading Phantoms still, and perhaps may be picking up another book. I finished Dodd's book a couple of nights ago. Hope everyone's enjoying their current books!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:31 pm 

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum, and I think it is wonderful. I have just finished Angels and Demons, and I am looking forward to starting The Da Vinci Code. Right now, I have begun George Orwell's 1984. It is starting off slowly, but I hope it gets better. Any comments on it are appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:38 pm 

I read Catcher in the Rye. It's interesting to re-read classic books that you read in HS and go back to after you get older to gain new insights.

Right now I'm absorbed in Sheldon Siegel's Incriminating Evidence. He has several books out that contain a certain character, Mike Daley, who is a lawyer investigating certain cases. It's a great read! I'm looking forward to checking out his other books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:39 am 

I am reading from the series "A song of ice and Fire" a storm of swords, I am reading it for the second time waiting for the release of the fourth part of the series "a feast for crows".

It's a fantasy by George RR Martin about great houses that are in war with each other to get the power of the total KD. The Book tells the story looking at different characters in different places and is full of betrayal and death. I think that in a lot of books the war is at the background but in this series the characters are really in their and are experiencing al the horrors of it. In the background a greater story of dark powers is building up while the world is preparing for the battle between good and evil in the form of dark forces against good. A “must” for all that love fantasies, it is even seen as better than lord of the rings.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com for more info and to read a chapter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 8:52 am 

Read earlier this summer:

Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer

I had previously read his Into Thin Air, and Into The Wild, and enjoy his writing style immensely. I've read some good and critical reviews of Under the Banner of Heaven. Interestingly enough, the Mormon Church seems to be quite involved in reviews against the book.

Right now I'm reading:
The Raid: The Son Tay Prison Rescue Mission by Benjamin F. SChemmer

It's non-fiction about the failed attempt to rescus U. S. POWs from a prison near Hanoi during the Vietnam War. Pretty intense stuff with a lot of detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:09 pm 

i suggest anything by Dan Brown.

including the da vinci code, angels and demons, deception point.....

also many philosophical books i have read lately have been well done. Such as The Matrix and Philosophy.

Also if you like a realistic atmosphere and action, i recommend the Bourne series by Robert Luddlum

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:38 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

:)
I just finished a British
mystery by Anne Perry in her
William Monk series, The
Shifting Tide. It was very
good. If anyone has read her
novels, please pm me. She
has been a fav of mine for
at least 10 years. Takes the
reader into Victorian England
and holds you until the very
end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I am reading, The Fires of Heaven. This is the fifth book in The Wheel of Time series by none other than Robert Jordan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next