Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:00 am 

Hi all,

i'm new to this forum, and just wanted to know what everyone is reading. I just finished reading "the Eldorado Adventure, which I helped my son with. The summer months I read "HE NEVER CALLED AGAIN", and also The Da Vinci Code, which I highly recommend. Now , I want to order the Al Franken book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:30 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Welcome to Literature and Quotations pages. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

Who is/are the author(s) of "The Eldorado Adventure" and "The Da Vinci Code"?

Well I'm desperately finishing Anna Karenina (Tolstoy) and then moving on to An Introduction to Philosophy and We The Living by Ayn Rand. Oh and loads of textbooks for school and Hamlet.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:23 am 

SORRY FORGOT TO INCLUDE THE AUTHOR'S NAME "HE NEVER CALLED AGAIN" WRITTEN BY ROSE QUINTILIANO/THE DA VINCI CODE WRITTEN BY DAN BROWN/THE ELDORADO ADVENTURE WRITTEN BY LLOYD ALEXANDER. I READ THE LAST BOOK WITH MY SON IT WAS PART OF HIS SUMMER READING!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:06 pm 

how old are you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 2:32 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I did some light reading this summer. I quickly devoured four books by Louise Rennison. Feeling not challenged enough I read some Joan Lowery Nixon book and eventually two Mary Higgens Clark books. I read them too fast. I will be starting "Romeo and Juliet" for school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:02 pm 

Hi Dreamy - I'm rather new here myself, so welcome! The DaVinci Code comes highly recommended, so I just added it to my 'books to buy' list. Lloyd Alexander is a fun juvenile lit author... I read The High King (and The Door in the Wall... did he write that too??) Did your son enjoy Eldorado Adventure? As a teacher, I'm interested in what types of books kids are into.

As for my reading-in-progress: I just started The Apothecary Rose by Candace Robb and Eternity by Greg Baer. I'm also reading a copy of The Importance of Being Earnest (Oscar Wilde) that I printed from this very website. It's fun and quick reading... good for some chuckles and even some deep consideration if you're in the mood! I've been exploring the poetry of Keats lately, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:46 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Well, for my English Literature course I am required to read Hamlet (Shakespeare) and The Return of the Native (Thomas Hardy). For my own lesuire I am reading Philosophy: Basic readings, The Great Divorce (CS Lewis) and Pensees (Blaise Pascal).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:49 am 

Just finished 'Shakey' Neil young's biog (rock muso not astronaut). Next up maybe a Grisham or similar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:53 am 

I meant to ask. What is the Da Vinci code about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 5:20 pm 

Hello,
I'm currently working on Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, which I became interested in after viewing the play. I also recently finished The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton (which I would highly reccomend), The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson, and The Awakening, by Kate Chopin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:25 am 

I started to watch the Les Misreable movie a couple of years ago. It was ... well in the same way as somebody might call how to make a cup of coffee 'Cup of Coffee' - words such as grim bleak and unremitting spring to mind. Good luck Stars

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:14 pm 

Right now I'm reading The Scarlet Letter by Hawthorne, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd, and a book by William Bernhart (sp.) which I can't remember the name of, all for school. For pleasure, I'm reading David Coperfield by Dickens and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers. I've enjoyed David Coperfield a lot more than I thought I would, especially after my experience with Dickens in 9th grade with Great Expectations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 7:38 pm 

Greekboy: What can you tell us about The Great Divorce? I am fascinated by CS Lewis, but not familiar with that work. Also, would you recommend the philosophical books you mentioned? Have you read Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder? It's an interesting novelisation of the history of philosophical thought. I'd like to hear your opinion!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:32 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Quest- Well, as far as <u>The Great Divorce</U> goes... I'm reading it again. I thought the book was amazing, and I would strongly recommend it. I had read other CS Lewis, the whole Narnia collection; but had never got round to reading any theological works by him. A good thing about TGD is that it is reasonably short; the copy that I have is only 118 pages, with quite a wide space between lines.

I think I'm going to start weaving my way through the others of his now. Starting with <u>Miracles</u> probably. Another CS Lewis book, which has been strongly recommended to me, by a friend is: <u>The Screwtape Letters</u>.

Which other Philosophical books are you referring to? Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed Sophie's World, thought it was a great piece of work. So much Philosophy, in such a short book. Although I found the ending a bit disruptive, it didn't take away the excitement of the rest of the book.

I haven't yet got round to reading Pensees, but I hope to start soon. I've read a few extracts from the book, and I have been fascinated.

Well, all this recommending of books just wouldn't be fit without some books to "warn" people of. I'm sure that many people may well like the book, and find it interesting. But, Return of The Native, is just a book that I can't find myself to appreciate. Has some great, rich description, but I find it clearly lacking in plot and content.

Post subject: Lewis, Mere, Screwtape
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:41 pm 

Greekboy: Thanks for the reply. If you enjoy Lewis' religious works, I think you'll like The Screwtape Letters. It was given to me as a high school grad gift by my pastor (X number of years ago!). Lewis' logical and convincing answers to the common questions of Christianity have remained with me many years. (But these postings have tempted me to read it again...If I do, will I have to post it under Twice Read Tales, too? :wink: ) Have you read "Mere Christianity?" In subject matter, I found it similar to Screwtape.

... If you are able to laugh at Man's approach to religion, you might enjoy Mark Twain's "Letters From Earth" and "Admiral Hornblower's Trip to Heaven." I think I have those titles correct. Be forewarned, though, Letters From Earth was written during his bitter years, after many personal tragedies. Back to Lewis... did you see/enjoy the biographical "Shadowlands" movie?

Haven't read any of Lewis' fantasies, I'm ashamed to say. I'll have to add Narnia to my 'must read' list.

Aren't these forums great? An excellent use of Internet space/time! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next