Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well this may/may not be a wonderfully brilliant idea but I really think this thread could be useful, I'm counting on our own member's experience of reading material however. You see having just had my first English Literature lesson my teacher has requested that I try to read the following books:

Anything by Ian McEwan (especially Enduring Love which is the novel we'll be writing an essay upon.)

Bonfire Of The Vanities- Tom Wolfe

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit- Jeanette Winterson

So I though it might be an idea, to put these on the board to see whether anyone else has had the chance to read these books in the hope that I can get some feedback e.g. whether you liked the book, further recommendations, any other novels by the author, general likes and dislikes.

I hope that other people can also start suggesting books, they might have heard of or have been asked to read so we can all help and perhaps after hearing a good review pick up a copy ourselves.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

We studied literature every year duing High School but only during one quarter (of three quarters) during college. I am not familar with these books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:03 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

During the 9th grade we read the Illiad and the Odyesse.

During the 10th grade we studied short stories by O'Henry and we read the Devil and Daniel Webster.

During the 11th grade we read the Cantebury Tales, Beowulf, and some other stuff.

During 12th grade we studied American Literature (Red Badge of Courage, The Great Gadsby, Our Town, Edgar Allen Poe). I did my term paper on Hemmingway.

During college we read The Glass Menagerie, Streecar Named Desire and Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:28 pm 

See, it seems almost impossible to be familiar with literature these days. I have read everything from Virgil and Dante to Sun Tzu and Miyamoto Mushashi. Hugo to Tolstoy and Clavell to Vonnegut. Henry James, Stephen Crane and Fitzgerald. Puzo to whoever

I am not familiar at all with any of the originally posted books.

In fact I have found I stopped reading except for casually looking over catch-22 again or the interest of the day material like "the complete vampire handbook".

What do I do? I watch television, watch Fight Club and matrix, compare philosophy in the Animatrix to early 1900's yogi's and drink a lot of beer. f--- reading I say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:00 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Oracle17- Why, Why, Why? All those good books and... ahh I'll start a movies thread in the fluff forum.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:06 pm 

"Oracle17- Why, Why, Why? All those good books and... ahh I'll start a movies thread in the fluff forum. "

Becuase movies are so much easier to watch and people will actually have a clue to what your talking about.

f--- reading I say, lets live life. Why aren't I? Cause I need money

Post subject: GREAT BOOKS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:01 am 

HI FISH ARE QUICK

I SEE YOU POSTED SEPT. 2003 LOOKING FOR COMMENTS ON THREE BOOKS. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY THIS THREAD HAS LANGUISHED FOR SO LONG. IMO YOU HAD A GREAT IDEA WHEN YOU STARTED IT. :)

WHILE WE ALL MAY HAVE DIFFERENT AUTHORS ON OUR LISTS IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO PEEK AND SEE WHAT OR WHOM SOMEONE ELSE IS READING. :?:

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE INTERESTED IN A FINE SITE THAT OFFERS REVIEWS, INTERVIEWS, COMING ATTRACTIONS AND CONTESTS TRY
BOOKREPORT.COM THEIR NEWSLETTER IS FREE AND THEY EVEN HAVE OVER 1000 BOOK GUIDES.

I HOPE THIS THREAD GETS MOVING AGAIN.

SAY FISH HOW DID YOU DO ON YOUR PAPER?

PEACE KNRCY

Post subject: GREAT BOOKS
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:02 am 

HI FISH ARE QUICK

I SEE YOU POSTED SEPT. 2003 LOOKING FOR COMMENTS ON THREE BOOKS. I CAN'T IMAGINE WHY THIS THREAD HAS LANGUISHED FOR SO LONG. IMO YOU HAD A GREAT IDEA WHEN YOU STARTED IT. :)

WHILE WE ALL MAY HAVE DIFFERENT AUTHORS ON OUR LISTS IT'S ALWAYS GOOD TO PEEK AND SEE WHAT OR WHOM SOMEONE ELSE IS READING. :?:

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO ARE INTERESTED IN A FINE SITE THAT OFFERS REVIEWS, INTERVIEWS, COMING ATTRACTIONS AND CONTESTS TRY
BOOKREPORT.COM THEIR NEWSLETTER IS FREE AND THEY EVEN HAVE OVER 1000 BOOK GUIDES.

I HOPE THIS THREAD GETS MOVING AGAIN.

SAY FISH HOW DID YOU DO ON YOUR PAPER?

PEACE KNRCY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:12 am 

I can't remember all of the books I've read for school but in high school so far I've read Farenheit 451, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, De Profundis, The Family of Pascual Duarte, Macbeth, Three Sisters and Beowulf as far as I can remember. Plus about the same amount of Finnish books. Right now I'm reading a book by F. E. Sillanpää (and will start Seven Brothers by Kivi after that) and Paradise Lost for my two literture courses, one Finnish and the second world literature. Paradise Lost isn't being half as bad as I expected. Have you guys read and hated/enjoyed it?