Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:16 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:14 pm 

I have read books one through three, and I actually find the series interesting (on a juvenile level.) Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series is a better basis for the fantasy genre, but for a children's fantasy genre, Rowling does a good job. The characters are easy to relate to - they're kids, going to school, having issues with bullies, playing sports, etc. But they've also got something to make them appealing - they're magickal. They go to a Wizarding school, ride on brooms in their sport of choice, etc. I think Rowling was targeting children more in the age groups of 8-13, but I'm sixteen and I like the books to a degree.
Being a Wiccan, however, I do think the books display the practice of Witchcraft to be too careless and carefree. But I agree with Quest in the fact that these books and their movies will probably not lead anyone to the occult. The books are very different from the religions that actually practice magick. Once the children reading these books actually start researching the occult, they'll realize it's not all sparks and flying broomsticks.
Also, I agree with the fact that these books are good because they're actually making children line up for a book. This is a drastic change from ten years ago, when there were no real exciting new books to move young readers. Then the Rings movies came out and began stirring the fantasy genre to life, and Rowling came out with the Potter series, stimulating pre-teens and teenagers alike to read.
Like I said, though, for a harder read, Tolkien is much better than Rowling. Again, this is because Tolkien was targeting an older age group than Rowling. Take care, and blessed be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:37 pm 

I really loved Harry Potter, one of the best series of books I've ever read! I can't wait for the rest of the series! :D I really hope they come soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:00 am 

I liked the books and have read them through several times. However, that's hardly due to the plot being so unbelievably exciting. I do like the plot in the sense that JKR always leaves clues for us to try to figure out, and, you know, there's the survival/hero story as the base of it which appeals to readers everywhere. The main reason why I love the books is my love for mythology and languages. Finding out about the creatures, words, and names JKR uses in her books is the most enjoyable aspect of the book. Of course she uses her own modifications but to compare those to their actual mythological bases is really interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:17 pm 

I think that all of the books are great!! I am a sophmore in highschool, and i think the books are wonderful for childern to read . Perhaps their length can help younger readers enjoy longer books.

Post subject: i did like harry poter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:52 pm 

I am great fan of harry potter .

Last edited by raj at ggsipu it on Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: i did like harry poter
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:53 pm 

I am great fan of harry potter .

For me the BEST compilation was HARRY POTTER AND GOBLET OF FIRE.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:08 am 

So what I'm understanding from the stronger negative comments in this thread is that books which promote 'witchcraft' and 'magic' (by talking about a school of witchcraft and spells) undermine and threaten the Christian message....which is given out by a book about some guy who walks on water and performs 'magic' by changing water into wine....

A childrens book that has kids lined up around the block to buy it (instead of sitting on their ever-expanding heinies (sp?) in front of a playstation) - a childrens [i][b]fantasy[/b][/i][b] book is a moral affront because it.....what, doesn't promote your personal world view.

If this sounds conforontational, it's because I've had it with various Christians I know trashing the books solely because they have a fantastical theme involving witchcraft. Childrens literature, by definition, isn't for adult consumption. It's for human beings at a totally different developmental level. Kids need fantasy and magic...what kid has never dreamed s/he was adopted and the real family is out there somewhere with a fortune hidden in an underground vault?

Ok, I [i]know[/i] it's not just me.

My point in all this is that you don't have to like it, but think twice before trashing it just because the Harry Potter practices witchcraft. Find another reason. You can question you child's taste in just about everything, but when something excited his imagination and it doesn't involve him/her watching commercials, being forced to assimilate your ideals at the expense of his/her own, or shooting at police and sleeping with hookers (Miami vice on playstation...a horrid game), then I'd suggest you think about buying his/her the next book.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:43 am 

I personally am a large and hungary reader, so when Harry Potter came out in all his witchs and wizards glory, I too, snapped at him. Imagine my dissapointment when I did get a hold of the books. I am not saying that Ms. Rowling's creation was a complete waste of good paper, I would instead, call it a literary tragedy. Harry Potter had potenial, he just didn't reach it. My reasoning for this statement is, I believe, fair. Rowling created a plot with possibilities and characters that bordered on interesting. She stopped, however, just before the peak of their bloom into something truely wonderful. In an attempted, I think, to keep it at a child's level. However, one thing I have learned from trying to write myself is that, while one can expect to have some control over one's book, one cannot expect or even hope to maintain complete control. The best stories, in my opinion, take root in the author's mind, but once they reach a certain point, any attempt to force ideas from them will stunt them, rather like trying to force a flower to bloom at a certain time. It just doesn't work.

Bethany

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:20 pm 

First off, I want to say that those that crapped on the book probably started reading the books with a closed mind. When I was first pushed to read the books by my friends (b/c I had been in that state that I wasn't going to read some stupid book that has no literary value) I thought I would hate them. But i decided I might as well see what everyone else sees in the book, and so when I read them I was open minded and thus i began to love them for what they were.

1. I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books. I found them exciting and entertaining, even if on a very basic and shall we say "childish" level. I liked the fourth book the best, particularly because JK Rowling brought some tragedy into it. I most definitely agree that they are not any great feat of literature, but they are fun, and like someone already said, it's alright to just read for fun sometimes.

2. Of course I think adults can appreciate Harry Potter as much as kids. My grandfather read them and loved them! I hate the fact that people will put on this "better than thou" attitude and say that becuase someone is of a certain age they cannot read books from a reading level less than their own. I think we all need a little easy reading once in a while, just like we all need to eat some sweets between the meat and bread, and we all like to watch TV (a completely mindless activity, that if any of those people that said Harry Potter is immature and whatnot watch tv, you should consider yourselves hypocrites) between our studies and work and the reality of the world.

3. I think it is good that JK Rowling has inspired young kids who usually sit around watching tv and playing video games to read. I don't think kids being infatuated with Harry Potter is going to hurt the book indsutry, because I believe that kids are going to become more interested in reading in general, even the other genres, if they can become interested in one type of reading to start. I don't think that kids are going to go join cults and all that stuff. Also, I think that the uptight Christians who were against Harry Potter because the witchcraft and wizardry was evil or any of that bull are insular and narrow-minded and should ease up.

Also, I just want to say that if you found the books too long, but claim to be beyond that childish reading, then you are a hypocrite. I didn't find the books long at all because I was completley emersed in the storyline. Perhaps those who dislike Harry Potter would say that my imagination is so poor that I have to rely on someone else writing childish plot stories or whatever bull you want to come up with. But I say to you, if you intellectual sophisticated reader cannot enjoy such a simple imaginative story, then you have a serious defect of imagiation, or you had no childhood, in which case, I am sorry for you, becase you missed out.

But everyone please don't get me wrong. My defense of the HP books is not a defense of saying that Harry Potter is wonderful literature. It is easy reading, candy to the mind, and I think that all people should find the happy medium between "candy" books and "meat and potato" books.

Post subject: I like the books
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:33 pm 

I'm not a drooling fan over the books but i like them quite a bit and i'm a freshman in highschool. I don't run out and buy them but i can't wait to read them when they come out. I don't think that you have to be a child to enjoy reading them, although it is great for children, because now more and more are going to begin reading other things and the more children read the better.

As for all the people who believe that this type of reading is going to inspire people to join cults and that the books are based on Satanism. i think you are entirely wrong as i am a witch myself and was long before the books ever came out and there is nothing in the books that is realistic enough to make people want run and join my religion. And for those of you who are ignorant enought to think that the majority of modern withches worship satan :evil: , you need a reality check because i don't and i don't know of any witch who does. Our matter is basically do unto others as you would have them do unto you so there is no evil here.

These books are not based on Satanism i don't know who started that, but there are plenty of books out there that include magic, magicians, witches, and wizards, but i don't see too many people bashing The Mists of Avalon, King Arthur books, or the countless other fantasy novels out there. Not to mention they don't exactly invoke the dark lord everytime they go to do a spell. JK Rowling started these books from her imagination, not some evil worshipping religion as so many are inclined to think. :D so pull your heads out of wherever you have them stuck and stop sheilding your children from a great book that hasn't done any child harm to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:34 pm 

Oh yeah and my favorite is the Goblet of Fire i think it is called the one where someone finally dies and there is some exciting violence.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:35 am 

Look, I DID NOT and DO NOT intend to offend ayone. I was not calling anyone who likes Harry stupid nor was I hinting that anything about Ms. Rowlings works are horrid. I am fully aware that what I do or not like may be looked on with opposite feelings then my own for good reason. I don't perfer Harry, but its fine if the rest of the world does. In response to one comment in particular, I have read much longer books then Rowlings with relish, and still enjoy childrens books when I want a easy and calming read. I just don't prefer Harry! That is all! I truely wasn't trying to offend, upset, or generally discombobulate anyone! Please except my apologies if you were bothered by what I said! :cry: I also am pleased with the number of children and otherwise that are reading because of the books. In that sense, Rowling has more then fulfilled the duty that every good author has. :!: I did not, Euterpe, start reading with a closed mind. I understand why you said that as some do, and my post sounded much stronger then I meant it to, but I can honestly say that I am an eager and open reader. Candy to the mind is a good way too put it. I just don't like this particluar flavor.

Bethany

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:23 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

lostintime- Purely out of interest, would you give me a link to a wiccan website that explains your religion? Thank you.

If anyone else could possibly direct me to similar material that would also be great.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:27 am 

Okay, I just want to say that I am a new member and that I really wanted to touch on this subject after reading the posts and replies that everyone had to say. Since everyone had their own opinions I wanted to join in a conversation that I'm sure was dropped forever ago but I still wanted to reply to. Here goes.

1. I quite honestly loved the series. I have all five books, three movies, and am eagerly awaiting the next two books. I, like many, did not even want lay a hand on the book or to even be in its general vicinity. How it happened was one summer I was helping my grandma baby-sit and one of her kids left the book there. My mom wasn't going to pick me up for another hour or so and I wanted to read. All my grandma had was V.C Andrews books and I was only eleven or twelve so they were out of the question. I picked up the book and bam I was hooked from the first chapter. Not because I wanted to, but because it was good. My favorite book would have to be the third one. I have actually read it seven times.

2. I don't really think that adult readers would appreciate it as much as kids because most adults grow up. The land of fairy tales and magic and such are unknown to them now. It's hard for most adults to even try to comprehend. I also want it noted that I am now eighteen and I have been reading them for about seven years, but trust me I do not go around dressing up in Harry Potter uniforms and making a mockery of myself. I am not that pathetic or obsessed. Ages I think should be intended for anyone who would want to read them or has the education to read them.

3. I think that Harry Potter's global dominance has had a positive impact on the novelist world. Many children have picked up this book and want to read it. Actually ask for it at bedtime. For example: My brother hates to read everything. He won't even read comics. He's only ten and his teacher wants him to start reading and forming a "literature stance in life" and such. After the fist Harry Potter movie came out, he came downstairs to my room asked if he could have the book and actually started to read it. Granted, he couldn't pronounce most the words and such but still, he wanted to READ it. My mom and I almost started to cry.

So I guess all in all, I am for Harry Potter. There is no question as to any against because there is none. J.K. helped my brother. For me family is everything and Harry was enough.

Also to the people who are saying that there is more people who do not believe in God and more atheist and such. No, there is not. They will always be there. If everyone believed in God then there would be no more conflicts and Honestly, I do not think that the human race could take not having something to argue about.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:44 pm 

I know that HP might not be the best book out there, and I have to admit that I hated them for the longest time, but then I gave them a chance. As for HP being a synonym for Satan, that is compeletly uncalled for! For what reason? I have to say that I am apalled at the religious reactoins to these books. Of course their aren't as good as some others, but they weren't meant to be for adults, they were meant for kids. Isn't it okay to let our kids be sucked in to a world of adventure and mystery? Afterall, why not? All through my childhood I loved the aspect of magic, yet I still went to church every day! There is no connection, and there shouldn't be. Now you have a right to be offended, but greekboy, sure you read it, but you read it with a bias already in mind. If you think you are going to hate something you are much more likely to hate and not like it. So your judgement is unfair. Answer this: why do you guys have something against HP, it may not be the best book in the world, but it isn't awful and it doesn't make fun of any faith. GIVE IT A FAIR CHANCE WITH NO BIAS ALREADY IN MIND!!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next