Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Harry Potter
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:37 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ok, we all know who Harry Potter is, he's the latest superstar hero to conquer the book-reading world, but let's hear some opinions.

1. Firstly, did you like the series, if so why, if not why not?
--If you are a fan, please name your favourite book.

2. Can adult readers appreciate Harry Potter as much as younger reader's?
--If you were J K Rowling, what age would you set the intended user?

3. I recently read a discussion about this, do you think Harry Potter's global dominance has had a positive impact or a negative impact on the novelist world?

Let's take the main for's and against's...

--Harry Potter has gripped children and adults world wide, introducing many people to reading for enjoyment.

--Harry Potter has stifled much of the industry, because people seem to only be looking for the next JK Rowling novel and are not interested in reading other genres.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:48 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Well, Harry Potter. Unfortunately, the word Harry Potter (Me and some friends like to call him Harry Pothead 8) ) is a common synonym (for me) to the word Satan.

I do not like JK Rowling, or her writing.

I read the first book; I finished it to the bitter end, only so that I could fairly say how I hated it. I fail to understand how some adults enjoy the books. I find them childish, and I am but a teenager!

It all seems rather corny to me. The films appear to be worse than the book.

Am I the only one that holds this supreme dislike towards Mr. Potter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 7:11 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I attempted to read the first book and found it impossible to finish. I am the only one among my friends who doesn't like her books. Now they find me strange. Of course I was forced to go and see the movies for my sister's birthday. Surprisingly I found the movies ok. So greekboy give the movies a chance. If anything you can still laugh at their acting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:30 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well, there have been two responses already, although both have avoided the third question, I'll tell you what I think.

1+2. I read the first 4 of the Harry Potter books, and personally found them readable. To give JK Rowling some credit, they were fast-paced books, with decent plots and ideas. However I found myself emotionally unstirred, rather indifferent about the whole novel. Which brings me onto the second question, I think they're good for children to read, but unsuitable for adults. Yes I think there is some enjoyment to be had in reading them at any age, but for someone who has a good reading age level, I would not recommend they read these books and would rather direct them towards some 'classics', such as Wuthering Heights or Tess of the D'Urbervilles. If you want to read a novel that really makes you feel something, then aim for a more adult read.

3. As someone who has always loved reading, I shall say that I'm pleased that a lot of children are making the (hesistant) step towards discovering literature and I think with many more Science Fiction series aimed at children they will continue to progress to the next book. Whether or not they will attempt to challenge a different genre remains to be seen, but keep your eye on the childrens bestseller list and see what kind of stories authors are putting forward to children.

As far as the movies go, I've seen both. There is some awful acting in parts, but it's fun and watchable.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 7:44 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I see what you mean about the books. Personally, as you know, I don't like them but over all if they have children reading more then before that's great. I know my cousin wouldn't be reading as much if it weren't for her books. So I guess keep the books coming JK Rowling! Naturally I wont be in line waiting but my cousin will. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:33 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Numero 3:

Harry Potter has had some good effects. It has opened the gateway to children to read more books, and to take a further interest in Fiction. Although the plot isn't entirely original, and generally quite predictable it is lovable to a certain extent.

My main concern with Harry Potter is more on a "hidden message", maybe not necessarily intended by JK Rowling. That is on the theme of wizardry, witchcraft and magic. In recent years, our culture has accepted witchcraft etc.. The term "witch" seems much more acceptable, where in past years a witch would have been awarded a public burning at the stake.

Is this what the kids of this day and age are to be nurtured with? Witchcraft, often leads to the forming of cults. There have been many suggestions that Satanism is behind Harry Potter, and that it is a "new twist to witchcraft".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 12:24 pm 

my opinion?

I believe harry potter makes a mockery of the fantasy genre. Of course you can call me a "fantasy nerd" but I am not a "purist". Did I just make sense? No more johnny for me. Anyways its like having these new bands these days wear Bad Religion t-shirts and call them sevles "punk"

shiet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:08 pm 

Firstly, let me say that am an adult, but also a teacher. I read the first HP book to be familiar with what the kids were experiencing.

Now, my opinions:
1. I have read #1-4. I have no plan to read #5. I thought the first book had a great story that would appeal to kids and pique their imaginations. The world Rowling created was fun (love those moving staircases and talking portraits!) and contained just enough realism to establish empathy for the characters. As I've read each subsequent book, however, I've gotten increasingly bored with the characters and stories. I also feel the books are becoming unnecessarily long.

2. Adult readers ... hmmmmm..... I have two answers to this question. Firstly, these books are juvenile fiction. I think Rowling's target audience is 11-14 year old kids. But, that's not to say it isn't good literature. Consider CS Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, Johnny Tremain, and nearly any Louis Sachar book. I've enjoyed all those as an adult, even though I could breeze through them and found them less intellectually stimulating than 'adult' classics. Let's face it, sometimes it's okay to read just for fun! On the other hand, (second answer to this question) some adults will find the HP series fun and stimulating, as well as an imaginative diversion from Harlequin books.

3. Simply put: kids are waiting in line and talking about a BOOK ... not a video game or a movie or a website ... but a real, live paper-based BOOK!!! GO JK!

Post subject: hhhhmmm?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:32 am 

Well, I must say that Harry Potter does not appeal to me in the slightest. I tried to read the first book but just couldn't get into it. I didn't even get through the first chapter. I saw the first film and couldn't wait for it to finish despite being a big fan of Robbie Coltrain. I had to watch the second film because my friend wanted me to keep his daughter company while he and the Mrs. went up the pub. However, I am 100% for the Potter. If Rowling can get the kiddies reading in the age of DVD, computer games and what have you, then good for her. As for being read by adults and contributing to the fantasy genre, yeah well, there again you have many adults that haven't read a book in years and its not a bad thing. Personally I think Philip Pullman and his Dark Material trilogy is by far the best thing around for kids and adults. I doubt if they will make a film of it though. Miles too controversial for hollywood.l

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:44 am 

Hmm...

This is a good topic... I have been away from this website for far too long (stupid computer failures), otherwise I would have answered this a lot sooner than now...

I have to read Harry Potter in my "Tolkien and Fantasy" English class... and, because I wanted to get some of my reading done ahead of time, I *reluctantly* picked up the book last week... if it hadn't been for this class, I probably wouldn't have done so. I never had any desire to read it before, and in fact, the very thought of it used to almost scare me.

Surprising myself, I found that it was readable... and I would likely read it again. I have no desire to go ahead and read the entire series, but the first one was alright... it was a light read, which was probably why I actually read the whole thing.

I actually had a big problem with the theme. Being a Catholic, I despise the idea that there's a school for witchcraft out there (even in the fictional world, although I know that Rowling's not the first one to actually come up with this idea). Be that as it may, I am slightly hypocritical to the subject, as I am currently writing a manuscript that deals with Elemental magery and magicks... It's very odd, the way I feel about this topic... sometimes I actually enjoy a story about magery and about magic (like, Mercedes Lackeye -spelling?- with 'The Chrome Born' or Terry Brooks's "The Elf Queen of Shanaria") Other times, the thought of reading a book on magic (such as Harry Potter) sends chills up my spine. Wierd, eh?

Be that as it may, after reading Harry Potter, I can say that I'm neither better nor worse off having read the book.

Trix <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:13 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Quest - You raise some very valid points, and it's great to see things from another perspective. I would have to agree with you on the fact that books are becoming unecessarily long. These days, I rarely read a book, if it's long, irregardless of its good opinions by others. What ever happened to short but sweet?

Dale - Up to here, I am in total agreement to what you have said:

Well, I must say that Harry Potter does not appeal to me in the slightest. I tried to read the first book but just couldn't get into it. I didn't even get through the first chapter. I saw the first film and couldn't wait for it to finish

The points for and against seem to be pretty simple.

For:
1. JK is getting young children to read books, and is unlocking a whole new area for them
2. Children will improve their English and writing skills etc...
3. The books are readable, and appeal to all ages.

Against:
1. The fact that wizardry and magic is a major theme in the book, is a major turn off to many Christians.
2. The books are boring. The book makes a mockery of the fantasy genre.
3. Although Harry Potter might lead into more reading, it may also lead into wizardry, cults and witchcraft.

It's great to have all of your opinions, and they are much appreciated. Ayone got any other information, on any more opinions out there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 8:57 pm 

Greekboy: I just cannot agree with the assumption that Harry Potter books are promoting witchcraft or might lead a child into the occult. Many popular children's books from the past have dealt with witches and wizards and fantasy worlds without causing a boom in the black arts. I don't believe that Harry Potter is any more dangerous than Wendy the Witch or Witchipoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:06 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Firstly I'm glad to see more people have given their thoughts on the subject, keep contributing!

Oracle17- Out of interest what fantasy would you suggest as good reading material?

Quest- I agree with what you have put forward, especially your answer to my third question, however it's sad that I really doubt books will ever becoe more popular than gaming, especially since technology is now allowing more portable consoles, including games on phones which will surely evolve next.

Dale- I strongly agree, Philip Pullman is an excellent writer and his final book The Amber Spyglass in the trilogy is one of my favourite books of all time, sadly I'll agree with you,I'm not very optimistic regarding Hollywood's adaption of the novel into a screenplay. We shall see.

Writerstrix- You presented an interesting point which I have read up upon, infact Harry Potter has been banned in a number of Catholic Schools, I sincerely hope this doesn't ever deter you from reading and appreciating good literature although your opinion should always count for more than expectation. Having read Shanara series I wonder if you feel more religiously against Harry Potter because it's much more /real/ than Brook's world which is entirely fictional. What I mean to say is, that although the Harry Potter novels are centred around magic, there is a more colloquial atmosphere, although the main characters are wizards they act as any other child would their age, barring obvious encoutners with You Know Who etc.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 10:04 pm 

Quote:
Harry Potter gained the Vatican's seal of approval on Monday when an official said the books helped children "to see the difference between good and evil".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2722077.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:56 pm 

Personally I find the books very enjoyable. Perhaps it's because I am the same age as all the characters and always have been. I admit they lack the substance to become great novels but they're just easy to read, fun, kids books introducing a new generation to literature. How anyone can hate that is beyond me. One word on the films, they made the acting in my younger brother's nativity play look good.