Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:53 am 

Fav. genre hun?
Well, that's hard... I guess I don't care about the genre so long as it's interesting and well written. Although, I'm not impartial to horror.
As they (who ever They are...) say," Don't juge a book by it's cover."
I do know what I DISLIKE though. I dislike romance. I find most romance stories/poems are wishy-washy. I think romance CAN be well written but I haven't read one yet. (Except for the poem "the Highway Man",hope I didn't mess up the title it is a good poem (never mind that it's a romance as I've mentioned something worth reading is good no matter the genre)
Well, that's all I got to say! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 9:27 pm 

Shadow: Welcome! It's good to hear from someone so utterly open-minded. I'd be curious to hear your response to other discussions about your favorite book, books you've read more than once, etc. But I'm really writing to recommend to you a good romance novel! I don't normally read any book whose front or back cover refers to passion, seduction, romance, etc. But for some reason I accidentally bought Losing Julia by Jonathon Hull. The idealism of the love story really serves as a contrast for the hopelessness and horror of war. There must be other good romances out there, but if they're not careful about their front and back covers, I'll never discover them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:56 am 

Well, if you think it's good then it must be. I'll have to put it on my To Read list. As for the open-minded part. I don't really consider myself so I just think if a book's written it was meant to be read. Weather I like the book or not well... that's a different story...

Post subject: Genres
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:47 pm 

Ahhh, favorite genre, eh?

Well, like just about everything in life, it's complicated. I like just about every genre for it's different reasons. There are a few I don't like though.

1. Books about reality teen troubles and success- The Babysitter's Club, the Princess Diaries, etc. To me, the charecters are almost brainless and acieve nothing throughout the book.

2. "Bad" books about animals (fiction)- I have read enough fiction books about Veternarians to know they just aren't the books for me, period.

3. Romance- I don't like romance at all. I'm not someone who believe that one would hike 2,000 miles to see someone that had an affair with. I know, I'm generalizing, but I don't like romance. I will, however, tough it in a case where I'm reading a book I love, such as Peirs Anothony's Incarnations of Immortailty series. Even though those books have some, well, "interesting" moments (to say the least), I like what the actual story is, so I can deal with it.

4. Gothic Novels- I just don't know why I don't like them...

------------------------------

I tend to have an open mind when reading a given novel or book. I like to read many things in the non-fictin area, such as computer science books, designing web pages, philosophy, feng-shui (I don't believe in it, but I like how certain aspects make your life more organized), photography techniques, among other things. I like learning languages (I'm fluent in American Sign Language and am learning French and Latin) and statistics.

I like to read science fiction, fantasy, Roman/Greek myths, mystery, comics ( :) ), and, to some extent, classic literature. Depending on what kind of book it is, I like reading contraversial things, such as Harry Potter or The Incaranations of Immortality or His Dark Materials triology. They can be interesting.

It's hard to limit yourself to a few favorite genres. There are so many great books out there!
-Len