Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:37 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Simple question and one which I hope will provide a variety of answers from you all.

As for me, I used to read a lot of science fiction but now I've been lured away from it by the lack of realism. I enjoy reading romanticism, not to be confused with romantic novels, romanticism concentrates on the ideals of man and what we could aspire to. Although right now, I'm 16 and packing as much classic literature in as possible, exploring a variety of different authors and ideas. I do show an interest in philosophy and am currently reading up on the more Platonic viewpoints and then I shall go back to Aristotle and see what I have learnt. :D

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:02 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

:D Don't you sound clever. :wink:

Favourite Genre:

Well I don't really read many books anymore, except Philosophy ones. So I guess it'll have to be that.

I don't read much fiction any more, sticking more to non fiction. I've read quite a few books on psychology recently. Wanna read some more books on sociology, theology and am quite interested in Socratic Philosophy.

Mr. Fish, I recommend you reading Homer - The Iliad. A pure classic. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:30 am 

This is a tough question, although I suppose in essence it actually is pretty simple. I love a lot of Historical Fiction... Wilbur Smith is one of my favorite authors.

I like sci-fi/fantasy too... that's always an interesting genre, I suppose! Come to think of it... except romance (as in those trashy Harlequin books - sorry to anyone who likes them), I like pretty much all genres!

Writerstrix <><

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I like Outdoor Advenure, (The Call of the Wild). The stuff that takes me into a wilderness like The River Why. There are many non fiction books that are remarkable, (Into the Wid, Into Thin Air, Mind Over Matter, A Walk Across America, How to Shxx in the Woods). I read a mix of fiction and non fiction but here lately I am reading much less fiction. I also dig books about the philosphy of Zen, Zen Flesh, Zen Bones). During my middle age I don't go to the movie theatre as often as I did during my college years. When I sit down to watch a video movie I take the phone off the hook or keep one of the kids on the Internet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:07 am 

Lol...
Well I'm still in my college years (I'm 21 in five months), so I do watch a lot of movies... in fact, I pride myself on being somewhat of a movie connoseur, as long as it's fitting to my favorite genres (action, comedy, suspense - but not thriller or horror-), and I make a point to see new movies that come out.

I, like you... love Outdoor Adventure books (in fact, I'm writing one right now... with a twist, fo course)... I loved The Call of the Wild, and I loved White Fang... I adore books about wolves, as they are my favorite animal and by far the coolest thing on this earth! :P I just recently read this book called "The Loop" by Nicholas Evans and it was phenomenal... truly amazing! It was about this biologist who has to go to a small town to see why the wolves appear to be attacking cattle... compelling stuff!

I enjoy reading fiction more than non, but if the non-fiction book is something to do with a topic that I like (for example, as I am trying to be a writer and I am working on a war story I pick up a lot of books on emergency first aid, battle tactics, types of military weapons, etc), then I am almost guaranteed to pick up every book on that particular topic. (At the public library at my house, I have read every single book on wolves they have).

I have found lately, that... due to the fact that I am taking six English courses at the university I'm at, I have very little time for my own fiction reading, simply because I am swamped by the fiction books that the professors give us to read... this coming semester I have two Shakespeare courses, with about five books each!

Post subject: Favortie Genra
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well I would have to say overall that it is fantasy, but I am also greatly found of any books which are witty and intelligent, something that amuses and makes you think. I enjoy books that are different and I aslo love historical fictions. And I am found of satire as well, my favorite author there is Tom Robbins he is just great.

I also love books that can just really make you feel and just pull you into the story and put you in the mind of the characters and tug at your soul. One of the most fascinating and wrenching books I have ever read, and perhaps the book that has stood out most in mind and is counter to be my all time favoirte I would say, is a very excellent and creative peace of writing called The Red Tent by Anita Diamant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 3:59 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Phantom Delta- Ahh you have no idea how many 'outdoor books' I have read concerning mountain or polar expeditions, my dad went through a stage of being completly obsessed with it and I read them all too.

Writerstrix- Was it Nicholas Evans who also wrote The Horse Whisperer?

Mariantionette- Wow, you have me impressed but then I expected the same.

"And a few other subjects which modesty prevents me from mentioning"

You can't bottle up just like that, I'm a strong advocate for the appreciation of intelligence and I demand you tell us all. :wink:

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:22 am 

You mention that you "used to read a lot of science fiction."
I'd be interested to know if you had any favorite authors.
I began reading sci-fi after being blown away (I was a kid at the time) by a little book called The Doomsday Planet
http://isfdb.tamu.edu/cgi-bin/ea.cgi?Harl_Vincent

Then Robert A. Heinlein took over, followed closely by Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clark, and Ray Bradbury. There were many others, but those 4 authors never disappointed me.
Just thought I'd check in with that.
Oh, and I don't have much of any favorites anymore, other than Joseph Conrad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 8:57 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Mariantionette- He.

Oh I don't want to capture your 'sole' dear, I only wanted to recognize you as an intelligent person, so to adopt and slightly alter Nietzsche's adage:

"(I teach you the superman). Man is something to be" <I>appreciated.</i>

Tn- I was very much into David Eddings and I believe I have read all of his books except his latest, thoroughly enjoying the adventures of Belgarion and Sparhawk along the way. I also like(d) Terry Brooks, David Gemmell and still read Robert Jordan, mainly so I can finish reading his Wheel of Time Series which is currently still being finished. Oh and The Nostromo is on my reading list, as soon as I read it, I'll make it into a discussion here.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 2:39 pm 

Cool. Science Fiction, well Kurt Vonnegut is as real as you can get.

Fantasy isn't but has some nice themes.

I read David Eddings too, terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan. The best?

DragonLance... by far. There isn't just a good vs evil for world domination theme or an internal good/evil struggle but characters like Raistlin which kick ass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 10:08 am 

As I thought about what you all have said...and wondered what my favorite genre is...I looked around all the places that I have books in progress stashed. Hmmmm.....one by the bed "The Seville Communion" by Arturo Perez-Reverte, one on the kitchen table "The Man Who Ate Everything" by Jeffrey Steingarten, one in the car "The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner)" by Jill Conner Browne (in case of traffic jams), several Tom Robbins stacked up that I have recently read or are the next in line to read.

I'm not sure what my favorite genre is....tough question.

I grew up in a family that was mad about science fiction. My dad had piles of first edition stuff from the 40's and 50's. My brother, David, writes the Honor Harrington series. My oldest brother has the not so agreeable habit of standing in an aisle of any given bookstore and reading entire science fiction/fantasy books....

I am reading more non-fiction as I age....

Post subject: History through fiction
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:34 am 

Piddler on the Hoof by SI Fishgal (PublishAmerica Inc.)- history through the potent fiction, entertaining, capturing, inspiring.
http://piddler-on-the-hoof.8m.com/
The derisive living truth and death emotionally awake a Jewish preschooler in the Red Army's Rearguard during the WW2.
"Damn good soul teaser," wrote a Barnes & Noble's reviewer. "No fruitless illusions, impractical fantasies and daydreamers. It's life, death, humor and true emotions. Coolest book on hottest topics, rich, vivid, fascinating, stimulating and gripping novel."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:02 pm 

It's hard to just pick one and only read that one. There's just not enough good literature in any one genre to always have something good to read if you just stick to a particular genre.

But anyway, I mostly read fiction, although I do enjoy nonfiction. It's just that with school and everything it's hard to have enough energy to read the more in depth stuff. If I had to pick though, I'd have to say that the classics would be my favorite genre, if that's even a genre. I also really love books that take place in England, and have that English mentality, books such as Pride and Prejudice, Rebecca, and Jane Eyre.