Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Catch-22
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 9:51 pm 

Hello i am new to the boards and i would like to say hello, Hello

In my opinion Catch-22 being a dark comedy about the insanity of war was one of my favorite books. The charecters were very well developed, the plot was very well done, and the writing was superb.

I have shared my thoughts and ideas on this book with many people, the majority of people who i talked to said they enjoyed this book, but a few said the found it slow, and lack the backbone of a really novel.

What are your guys/girl's opinion on this book if you have read it, and/or do you have any books resembling this book?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:23 am 

I love Catch-22, it's my all-time favourite book.

(I have nothing to say :( )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:13 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Pink - Catch 22

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:51 pm 

hey whats up everyone

Catch-22 is actually my favorite book too. Its more then war even though its a bit of an "anti-war" book

It deals alot with not only how the war is crazy, but life in general. WHo are we? What is our identity. Is he a black eye or a feather in the cap :)

Comedy, for sure. I wish someone would do a good movie on the book

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 2:53 pm 

I read some other Heller books but while good, they weren't nearly as great as Catch-22. Of course Heller wrote a quote something like "If you write catch-22, how can you ever expect to write something better?"

Whats cool was that Heller and Vonnegut, while not only contempories were also friends and would sometimes drink together. I would love to sip on some Johnny with them. Too bad one's dead and the other one is smoking 2 packs of unfiltered pallmalls a day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:34 pm 

Hmm...well I like the band Catch 22...but I can see this is not the right place to talk about that...lol, yep I am a dumbass...the book was good, not great but good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:59 pm 

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I've never read Catch-22, although it's been sitting on my bookshelf for years. I just never seem to be in the mood for a 'war story.' Speaking of other Heller books, has anyone read God Knows? It's one of my twice-read books and I laughed through it both times. If, as Oracle says, Catch-22 is even better, maybe it's time I cracked its cover.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:54 am 

I consider Catch-22 to be on the list of great books I have read.
It appears that the original working title for this work was Catch-18.
Joseph Heller
American writer, who gained world fame with his satirical, anti-war novel CATCH-22 (1961), set in the World War II Italy. The book was partly based on Heller's own experiences and influenced Robert Altman's comedy M*A*S*H, and the subsequent long-running TV series, set in the Korean War. The phrase "catch-22" has entered the English language to signify an individual's entrapment in a no-win situation, particularly one created by an institutional regulation.
Quote:
"As I've said and repeat, I wrote the first chapter in longhand one morning in 1953, hunched over my desk at the advertising agency (from ideas and words that had leaped into my mind only the night before); the chapter was published in the quarterly New World Writing #7 in 1955 under the title "Catch-18." (I received twenty-five dollars. The same issue carried a chapter from Jack Kerouac's On the Road, under a pseudonym.)"
~ Joseph Heller, (from Now and Then, 1998)

NO LAUGHING MATTER (1986), written with Speed Vogel, was a surprisingly cheerful account of Heller's experience as a victim of Guillain-Barré syndrome.
Heller died of a heart attack at his home on Long Island in December 13,1999.
http://www.kirjasto.sci.fi/heller.htm

And about Kurt Vonnegut, in an interview a few years ago:
He smoked unfiltered Pall Malls throughout the interview. When he laughs, which he does frequently, he squeezes his face up horizontally in the wide-open grin of the Cheshire Cat. He is always ready to pounce with a joke, and the loudest laugh, like the last, is always his.
http://www.salon.com/books/int/1999/10/ ... interview/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:05 pm 

Hi,

First time poster, long time reader.

Although Catch-22 is my favourite novel, Heller's wrote some other good one's. I thought the sequel to Catch-22 (Closing Time) was okay, but I really liked "A Portrait of the Artist as an Old Man". Very funny book.

I also once read an interview with Joseph Heller and Kurt Vonnegut together. I remember that as being quite funny too. I think I found it on Google.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:08 pm 

Here's that interview.

http://www.vonnegutweb.com/vonnegutia/i ... eller.html