Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:21 pm 

I would suggest Crime and Punishment (by Fyodor Dostoevsky). This is a Russian piece of literature that is definately filled with suspense. I am just finishing it myself. It is about a man who commits a gruesome double murder and deals with the consequences afterward. An Amazing Book![/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:50 pm 

A Prayer for Owen Meanie by John Irving. Great book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:12 am 

I'm similar in age to you, and currently at university, so maybe we'll have similar tastes.
I read 'The color Purple' by Alice Walker and loved it.
Phillip K. Dick's "Do andriods dream of electric Sheep?" is good if you like sci-fi, So is most stuff by Issac Asimov.
Margaret Attwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" is aslo a great book, I've read a few of her other books too, most of them have been female stories for a female point of view.
There is The Tomorrow series by John Marsden, starting with "Tomorrow when the war began" this is an Australian series so I don't know if you'll be able to get it, but it is a brilliant book for young adults to read and relate to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:36 pm 

Has anyone else suggested the Prince of Nothing series, by R Scott Bakker? Or perhaps any James Rollins book?

"A crazy man sees things nobody else can see. But what about someone who sees things nobody else can-but that turn out to be there after all? There is a word for people like that too. The word is genius." - The Victorious Opposition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:56 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I would recommend the Count of Monte Cristo, Its a great book, besides its a classic, i dont remember the author, butyou could look it up, its about his nice guy and his lover, they were about to get married, but he got arrested for something he never did, and he spent 14 years in prison before he broke out, and now he's seeking revenge from everyone who helped out him in prison, Its cool and you DEFENITELY dont know what is about to happen next, and he bacame very wise, so you'll like it..i hope so

Post subject: Same pickle
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:43 am 

Hey i am in the same pickle you guys are in except i'm only a jr. in high school. I just got done reading The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. I personally thought it was a very excellent trilogy. But i am also a nerd for fantasy books. So here is my problem :cry: . i need to find another trilogy that's really good because i hate reading those little in between books, ya know the ones to keep you busy till you get out to look for a new one? So anyway i love fantasy especially dragons, unusual warriors, magican's and far far away places...any suggestions? Thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm only an upcoming freshman :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

For me, any detective story book is the best book.. or maybe consider buying some quotations book :wink:

Post subject: Re: Same pickle
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

PerfectMistake27 wrote:
Hey i am in the same pickle you guys are in except i'm only a jr. in high school. I just got done reading The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. I personally thought it was a very excellent trilogy. But i am also a nerd for fantasy books. So here is my problem :cry: . i need to find another trilogy that's really good because i hate reading those little in between books, ya know the ones to keep you busy till you get out to look for a new one? So anyway i love fantasy especially dragons, unusual warriors, magican's and far far away places...any suggestions? Thanks! :D

try terry goodkind, terry brooks, and robert jorden. great series!