Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: need a good book
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:47 pm 

hey, i'm 18 and female about to enter college and i was wondering if anyone knew of any good books that someone my age would enjoy. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:54 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Well, it really depends on "what your into" and what books you have already read.

For you, I would recommend:

The Color Purple - Alice Walker

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 11:40 am 

i like suspensful books. books that take unexpected turns so you never know what's gonna happen. i also like books that teach you something...like i read a book about being a college freshman and it was cool. any ideas now? i've already read the color purple and of mice and men! =)

Post subject: Good books
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:34 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

For suspense I would say To Kill a Mockingbrid

and a good book that I think is very inspirational and really teaches a vaulable leasson is Sidhartha

I read both those books when I was about your age and enjoyed them quite a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:22 pm 

I would recommend [i]Rebecca[/i] by Daphne du Maurier. It's one of the best suspense books I've ever read, and it has an unexpected turn at the end.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 4:53 pm 

"The Great Impersonation" by Philip (sp?) Oppenheimer is very good, a bit suspenseful, I believe. But the best author in suspense is Frank Peretti. He is awesome. Read "The Oath" by him.
Mary Higgins Clark was dubbed the Queen of Suspense and is fairly good.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:27 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yes, Mary's books are good. If you are to read one I would suggest Loves Music Loves to Dance. I found it one of her most interesting books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:45 am 

Loves Music, Loves to Dance is quite good; her best is All Around the Town. If you don't mind long sentences, Edgar A. Poe is the best. Especially the second time through a story; it's easier to grasp.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:20 am 

Piddler on the Hoof by SI Fishgal (PublishAmerica Inc.)- history through the potent fiction, entertaining, capturing, inspiring.
http://piddler-on-the-hoof.8m.com/
The derisive living truth and death emotionally awake a Jewish preschooler in the Red Army's Rearguard during the WW2.
"Damn good soul teaser," wrote a Barnes & Noble's reviewer. "No fruitless illusions, impractical fantasies and daydreamers. It's life, death, humor and true emotions. Coolest book on hottest topics, rich, vivid, fascinating, stimulating and gripping novel."

Post subject: ha.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:21 pm 

greekboy3000 wrote:
Well, it really depends on "what your into" and what books you have already read.

For you, I would recommend:

The Color Purple - Alice Walker

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

The Amber Spyglass - Philip Pullman

this is funny. of mice and men? amber spyglass? i read of mice and men in 5th grade. and the amber spyglass (and the rest of the trilogy) in 6th. shes 18 going to college. not a 10 year old wondering how big the rest of the world is.

i recently read In Her Shoes: A Novel by Jennifer Weiner. Some light reading for a college student. Also, you're female, so you would appreciate it anyway. nothing too serious, but enough to rethink what kind of person you are. that sort of thing.

Post subject: Re: ha.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:45 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
this is funny. of mice and men? amber spyglass? i read of mice and men in 5th grade. and the amber spyglass (and the rest of the trilogy) in 6th. shes 18 going to college. not a 10 year old wondering how big the rest of the world is.

He tried that's all that matters. He did good with what information he had about what her interests are. Some people like to read a lower reading level book and finish it in an hour or two just for the heck of reading, not "wondering how big the rest of the world is". MusicIsLife, yup Edgar Allen Poe is good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:57 am 

Perfectionist, What is your favorite by Poe? I like his prose better than his poetry. Oh, and nice quote, by the way. I just got through with Thoreau, he is... interesting. Yeah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 6:33 pm 

Quote:
suspensful books. books that take unexpected turns so you never know what's gonna happen. i also like books that teach you something

Then you need to find a copy of Umberto Eco's "The Name of the Rose."
You will learn much while reading it, and it's hard to put down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:49 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

MusicIsLife : Well, I have only read a few but I like "Alone" and "Silence - A Fable." The descriptions in "Silence - A Fable" are pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:08 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Let me just say that i am also getting ready to enter college. However, I'm a guy, so keep that in mind when I make suggestions...

Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad is a thouroughly enjoyable journey into the human mind

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead is a funny one; you can read that one just for the hell of it

Of course, the DaVinci Code is awesome

I strongly recomend anything by Douglas Adams, like the Hitchhiker's Guide series. He seriously might be the best author in history.

The Maltese Falcon is classically good, if you like murder mysteries

Some of my other favorites, though I'm not sure if they're approriate for our age group, include The Great Gatsby and The Catcher in the Rye.

Hope that helps.