Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 5:34 am 

Here are some diverse quotes I like from G. K. Chesterton's book, What Is Wrong With The World? readers who are interested in reading the book can find it on the net at:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcs6mpw/gkc/books ... wrong.html
ENJOY!!

-- Seemingly from the dawn of man all nations have had governments; and all nations have been ashamed of them.

-- We all dislike abject poverty; but it might be another business if we began to discuss independent and dignified poverty. We all disapprove of prostitution; but we do not all approve of purity. The only way to discuss the social evil is to get at once to the social ideal. We can all see the national madness; but what is national sanity? I have called this book "What Is Wrong with the World?" and the upshot of the title can be easily and clearly stated. What is wrong is that we do not ask what is right.

-- Compromise used to mean that half a loaf was better than no bread. Among modern statesmen it really seems to mean that half a loaf is better than a whole loaf.

-- The essential of the 'difference' is this: that prejudices are divergent, whereas creeds are always in collision. Believers bump into each other; whereas bigots keep out of each other's way. A creed is a collective thing, and even its sins are sociable. A prejudice is a private thing, and even its tolerance is misanthropic. So it is with our existing divisions.

-- The modern mind is forced towards the future by a certain sense of fatigue, not unmixed with terror, with which it regards the past. It is propelled towards the coming time; it is, in the exact words of the popular phrase, knocked into the middle of next week. And the goad which drives it on thus eagerly is not an affectation for futurity Futurity does not exist, because it is still future. Rather it is a fear of the past; a fear not merely of the evil in the past, but of the good in the past also. The brain breaks down under the unbearable virtue of mankind. There have been so many flaming faiths that we cannot hold; so many harsh heroisms that we cannot imitate; so many great efforts of monumental building or of military glory which seem to us at once sublime and pathetic. The future is a refuge from the fierce competition of our forefathers. The older generation, not the younger, is knocking at our door.

-- The joy of battle comes after the first fear of death; the joy of reading Virgil comes after the bore of learning him; the glow of the sea-bather comes after the icy shock of the sea bath; and the success of the marriage comes after the failure of the honeymoon. All human vows, laws, and contracts are so many ways of surviving with success this breaking point, this instant of potential surrender.

-- You prosecute the man or woman Who steals the goose from off the common, But leave the larger felon loose Who steals the common from the goose.

-- Discipline means that in certain frightfully rapid circumstances, one can trust anybody so long as he is not everybody. The military spirit does not mean (as Carlyle fancied) obeying the strongest and wisest man. On the contrary, the military spirit means, if anything, obeying the weakest and stupidest man, obeying him merely because he is a man, and not a thousand men. Submission to a weak man is discipline. Submission to a strong man is only servility.

-- You can telephone with a telephone; you cannot do anything else with it. And though this is one of the wildest joys of life, it falls by one degree from its full delirium when there is nobody to answer you.

-- The point is that Man does what he likes. He claims the right to take his mother Nature under his control; he claims the right to make his child the Superman, in his image. Once flinch from this creative authority of man, and the whole courageous raid which we call civilization wavers and falls to pieces. Now most modern freedom is at root fear. It is not so much that we are too bold to endure rules; it is rather that we are too timid to endure responsibilities.

-- I think my meek little madman might have understood that there is many a boy who would rather be flogged, and unjustly flogged, than have his adventure story taken away.

-- When a man really tells the truth, the first truth he tells is that he himself is a liar.

-- A gentleman is expected to be substantially spotless all the time. But it is no more discreditable for a scavenger to be dirty than for a deep-sea diver to be wet. A sweep is no more disgraced when he is covered with soot than Michael Angelo when he is covered with clay, or Bayard when he is covered with blood.

-

much love, light and laughter,
ananya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:31 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Of the top of my head.... I have a quote:

"We live in a world where the pizza arrives quicker then the police"

Sums up a lot of things.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:15 am 

I enjoyed 'The Man who was Thursday' so much I read 'Napoleon of Notting Hill straight after. 'Thursday' is one of the few books to have made me laugh out loud. If you've read it yourself, I laughed at the chase and the messages that were being sent :lol: