Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have loved vampires and been fascinated by them since before the world even heard of the name Stephanie Meyer, and this whole new paranormal fad that she helped give birth to is quite annoying to me, not that there is anything wrong with people whom enjoy reading that, I have my own guilty reading pleasures, but it is impossible to find any vampire books anymore that do not fit into that genre of paranormal romance. And I just don't like romance no matter how you spin it.

For me personally putting a vampire in a romance novel does not make the romance suddenly cool, it just makes the vampire a lot less cool.

In high school I was a die hard Anne Rice fan, and read the entire Vampire Chronicles, and I would like some recommendations on vampire themed books which are not a part of the new paranormal romance craze.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:06 am 

I've read just about every Ann Rice book and share your thoughts. However, part of the appeal of the Vampire is the immortality that extends to the concept of immortal love; a love that can break all evil.

Yet, the recent Twilight excitement has altered the Vampire novel. Lessened the darkness, removed the cool factor.

A series that includes Vampires, other paranormal is the Night Watch trilogy by Sergei Lukyanenko. It plays wonderfully with the concepts of light and dark, what is good and what is evil. Lukyanenko is a Russian psychiatrist and the books delve into the human psyche via the paranormal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:19 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Fayzdream wrote:
However, part of the appeal of the Vampire is the immortality that extends to the concept of immortal love; a love that can break all evil.

That does not really hold true for me, and I think that Anne Rices books rather display the way in which love and immroality do not mix, and prove to be quite a dieseaster when combined.

Fayzdream wrote:
A series that includes Vampires, other paranormal is the Night Watch trilogy by Sergei Lukyanenko. It plays wonderfully with the concepts of light and dark, what is good and what is evil. Lukyanenko is a Russian psychiatrist and the books delve into the human psyche via the paranormal.

That sounds interesting, I will have to keep it in mind

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:18 pm 

It all started earlier than you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:45 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Bram Stoker's "Dracula" is the original Gothic horror and hard to beat for a truly evil, completely ruthless Count. Really great classic literature with brave heroes, maidens in danger, dark deeds, creepy castles and nighttime terrors. Should be compulsory introduction course to vampires!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:12 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Dun think so ... vampires could be put into romance especially there are many out of them there ... apparently they reproduce as a result of love lol