Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Philosophy
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I made a goal recently to read philosophy. I just got done with Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet". I plan on reading Walden next, but I was hoping I could get some more suggestions.

Is there anything I should know upon approaching philosophy?

Post subject: I Hope This Helps
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:23 pm 

Hello Tommy GS,

Let me tell you that you will not regret your interest in philosophy, for it will enrich your mind and change your perspective to life.

I suggest reading Iben Rushd’s philosophy. Particularly, his book “Tahafut at Tahafut,” in which he argues that philosophy does not interfere in Religion. (I Have found a useful website, but I could not post it, unfortunately, for I am new here)

You could also read about Ghandi, who inspire Ghandism through his principles, beliefs and philosophy.

:) I sincerely hope that you would find these two figures useful.

Post subject: Gateways to Philosophy
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:24 am 

Location: http://linux.emerging-alpha.com/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=13
While Averreos will be a good jumping point to the confluence of Greek and Arabic thought on ideas of the next 1,000 years, you might be happier to start with a quasi-fictional introduction to one of several epistemological frameworks: "Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", a 60's classic. The author's own inability to resolve the dilemma he raises adds further to its poignancy.

From there you may decide you have more interest in philosophy as a guide to morality, human identity, the nature of knowledge and thought, the source and worth of art, the validity of action (personal, corporate, group, national, etc), and much more.

Good luck with a rewarding pursuit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:58 pm 

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is an excellent book that I have read over quite a few times. I have a first edition hardcover copy that I keep in my library.

I also highly recommend "Awareness" by Anthony DeMello. DeMello was an Indian Jesuit priest, since deceased, who was a follower of Zen. This book has short homilies that really make you think about your place in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It's not pure philosophy, but try "Nothing to be Frighted Of" by Julian Barnes. Another good one is "The Book of Dead Philosophers" by Simon Critchley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:50 pm 

i find that reading some of the classics and learning the basics about phylosophy,becuase all phylosophers use previous thoughts or ideas from previosu authors as plato,descartes or niescthe so ill start by learning what the basics are it helps opening your mind and see the world diferently besides its always cool to pinch in during a conversation and making reference to any philosophical braanch that its similar to the matter of the conversation:D i dont have any book to advise

Post subject: As A Man Thinketh
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:20 pm 

I would recommend anyone to read "As A Man Thinketh" by James Allen. You can download a free copy on the internet by google searching.

It is not even long. It is only 28 pages of power packed messages.

In my opinion whether you read Philosophy or not every one already has a philosophy of life whether they know it or not and that is based on their belief systems. So, it behoves one to delve into their own belief systems and find out how they acquired it and whether it is of any value to them. And this is one book that will really help you discover yourself.

So, go ahead and check it out. You will be ever so grateful you did.

Usha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:01 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Forgive my pardonable bias, but I feel that philosophy can be found in almost any work of great literature. I would suggest Aldo Leopold's Sand County Almanac for a dose of 'Natural Philosophy'. If you're feeling adventurous try 'Radical Simplicity', it follows along the same lines, but is much less poetic and perhaps a bit more lecture-y; but it is a good book and will make you think about your relationship to the world.

Good luck Tommy!

(P.S. If you have several days to spare, sit down and read Rachel Carson's Silent Spring. It's kinda hailed as the touchstone for 'modern environmentalism' [whatever that means] but if you read it last it should give you a lot to think about.)