Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:25 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I read the Potter books when they where famous and I enjoyed them. Although it is true that I hate rabid and mindless fan-bases more then the actual work, I can judge the work for itself rather then for it's fans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:15 am 

I too have read the Twilight Series and watched the movie. So I would agree that there was a huge hype about the series that wasnt exactly called for, however, if young people choose to love this series who cares? I myself liked the series. The books were an easy read, which provided a way for me to read and keep up my busy schedule. Personally I found that the books provided a way to fantasize about falling in love with someone to the point you cannot live without them. It wasnt hard to read and let the imagination take over, I beleive that is what makes the series interesting to the readers. Lets face it, most girls want to find their "Edward". The characters represent the dreams and fantasizes many girls have. (not a vampire, but just a man that cares and loves like that.)

Post subject: Twilight
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:21 am 

Why all the vitriolic criticism? I don't believe that the Twilight series was ever advertised as fine literature. I am a 46 year old reading teacher, and I have read all of this series. While they are full of silliness, they are fun to read. My issue with them is that, by the end of the series, there is some fairly graphic sexual content. I do not feel that this is appropriate for preteens and very young teens, yet they are certainly marketed toward them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:08 am 

Never saw the movie cause I couldn't get over how horrible the book was.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:19 am 

I think Meyers is a great writer she has a great plot and story Idea!! (Not better than Rowling though!!!) Twilight has been totaly overpopularized and Vampire books seem to be some of the few books I can find at my local book store!! and Mrs.elizabeth1119 I feel that as a teen we should be aloud to make our own decisions on that front we have our own minds you know!! I feel though from your comments that I should check out Ann Rice from what your saying she should be a very good writer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I don't like it either.

Libra.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:57 am 

The-Holy-Dark wrote:
To quote my friend Briannia "It will change your life".

Change your life??? Oh come on!!! Is this the first book she has ever read? I've read over 300 books in my life, some were great, some not so much.. but for one thing I'm sure. "Twilight" isn't a book to remember. Maybe it is for a teenage girl, not for a grown up (I'm 21, so not much a grown up, but I can tell the difference). I've read Harry Potter too and there is no comparison between them, because even a grown up can fully enjoy Harry Potter.

I can't say "I hate Twilight", because there are books that are worse, and it isn't do bad written, but I'm saying that it's a book for a special group of readers, not for everyone. In fact, I'm reading "Eclipse" right now, the third book and I can't finish it, because I don't think it's very interesting... Anyway, I've decided to read even "Breaking down" and maybe I'll understand what was all this about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 pm 

I've read the books, all of them actually. I am a big fan of Anne Rice and can understand when people say that Twilight does not hold a candle to novels like Interview with the vampire. While Meyer is not going to win the Pulitzer prize any time soon I have to say it was a nice easy read and i enjoyed it. It doesn't pretend to be a masterpiece its popular because of the story, which when it really comes down to it is a love story. Of course teenagers would get swept up in it as well as older people who like to fantasize. The 'graphic sex scenes' as someone commented are actually quite tame and leave most things to the imagination, its even on a Christian approved leaders list! Do you not remember Lestat being sexual with his mother after she turned into a vamp?

As for whoever stated that the only way to kill "real" vampires is not to break them up and burn them to pieces.. need i say it?? There are no real vampires, its fantasy, fiction, imagination which last time I checked is open to interpretation. creation of new myths can occur! Shes not the best author but for those who like romance, it has a good story that lovers of such genre would find appealing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:23 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

God forbid I tread on such deep waters on such a thin layer of ice, but...

Yes, I do dislike the series very much. I actually ended up reading it because my spouse forced me to. I have no idea what could have made most every teenage female on the earth freak out about this. The only true problem I have with it, now forgive me if this doesn't matter at all, but... I help out our local library when it manages its booksale for elementary-grade children. I had over 30 parents ask for a book from the Twilight series for young girls around maybe age 7-9, which I personally think is just a little young for some of her works. Does anyone agree with me?

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:27 am 

Kon Freak wrote:
I had over 30 parents ask for a book from the Twilight series for young girls around maybe age 7-9, which I personally think is just a little young for some of her works. Does anyone agree with me?

Yes, I agree.

P.S. After finishing all the books I think that the end of Eclipse and Breaking dawn is interesting, not fabulous, but enjoyable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:55 am 

nina88 wrote:
I've read the books, all of them actually. I am a big fan of Anne Rice and can understand when people say that Twilight does not hold a candle to novels like Interview with the vampire. While Meyer is not going to win the Pulitzer prize any time soon I have to say it was a nice easy read and i enjoyed it. It doesn't pretend to be a masterpiece its popular because of the story, which when it really comes down to it is a love story. Of course teenagers would get swept up in it as well as older people who like to fantasize. The 'graphic sex scenes' as someone commented are actually quite tame and leave most things to the imagination, its even on a Christian approved leaders list! Do you not remember Lestat being sexual with his mother after she turned into a vamp?

As for whoever stated that the only way to kill "real" vampires is not to break them up and burn them to pieces.. need i say it?? There are no real vampires, its fantasy, fiction, imagination which last time I checked is open to interpretation. creation of new myths can occur! Shes not the best author but for those who like romance, it has a good story that lovers of such genre would find appealing.

I agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 am 

And I very much like twilight. It is the most beautiful history about love... About a kotra I cannot forget...