Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 2:22 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I've just finished three, all by Dan Brown. After reading his hot new thriller, The Da Vinci Code (get it -- it's a brainy person's mystery and the most fun -- you can't put it down), I wanted more, so I read his earlier Angels and Demons and Digital Fortress. Both good, too, but Da Vinci Code is the ultimate.

By the way, thenostromo, I finally did read Oscar Wilde's Picture of Dorian Grey a few months back, since I had never read it before. An amazing number of famous Wilde quotations come from that book -- I marked them so I could list them here sometime. Anyway, a good read, but it imparts such a sense of true evil, I had nightmares!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ahh, I'm turning steadily into a bookmaniac, which is slightly worse than a bibliophile.

Currently I've just started, Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. After finishing Flora Rheta Schrieber's Sybil. I did a lot of summer reading, including:

Nausea- Sartre
Atonement- Ian McEwan
Chasing The Dime- Micheal Connely
England, My England and other stories- DH Lawrence.

And since it's become a habit to buy something whilst in town, picked up Jack Keroac's On The Road (which is shall endeavour to give my opinion on when I've finished) and Hotel World by Ali Smith.

-fish are quick!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:36 am 

Piddler on the Hoof by SI Fishgal (PublishAmerica Inc.)- history through the potent fiction, entertaining, capturing, inspiring.
http://piddler-on-the-hoof.8m.com/
The derisive living truth and death emotionally awake a Jewish preschooler in the Red Army's Rearguard during the WW2.
"Damn good soul teaser," wrote a Barnes & Noble's reviewer. "No fruitless illusions, impractical fantasies and daydreamers. It's life, death, humor and true emotions. Coolest book on hottest topics, rich, vivid, fascinating, stimulating and gripping novel."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 6:18 am 

Well... I usually try to read one book at a time... (it's easier for me to remember (I have a terrible memory) what happen's in the story when I do...)

But as of now I'm reading The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri and Bazaar by Stephen King.
I think it would surprise people to know that I am NOT reading Dante's book for class but on my spare time... Sure I'm using it also as my free reading novel but... even so I would've read it anyways because I find Dante's prose unique. Of course good writing IS supposed to be unique and interesting...

But... it's old... and I don't think a lot of people nowadays are truly interested in old (litteraly ancient!) things. Even I'll admitt I wouldn't have read it if it weren't for the fact that I had read a synopsis of his poetry...
Anyways for those who weren't sure weather or not to read The Divine Comedy I definitly recommand it!

For those who don't know The Divine Comedy is a story (in lyric form) of Dante's voyage threw Hell, the Purgatory, Heaven and the people he meets through his voyage. Of course I'm probably discribing it badly but... that's the major gist of it.

As for Bazaar it's by Stephen King so it's bound to be good... I think it's a lot better then the Shining (also by Stephen King) which I couldn't even finish! Of course this is all a matter of opinions but, I leave it up to you to read it and tell me what you think...