Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NEED HELP! URGENT!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:38 pm 

I am reading Animal Farm, Politics and the English Language, and Hayakawa. My assignment is to write an essay on the effects of language on society, and to use information and outside sources to compare the language of democratic government vs. totalitarian government. I am writing in the perspective of a "spy" who is advocate FOR totalitarianism.
Any good quotes that i could use to compare the two effectively that also relate to the sources i have read?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:04 pm 

franklin said that "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Americans seem to be very willing to trade freedom for security. take his words to heart and argue that because people are so willing to make this trade, they no longer deserve democracy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:26 pm 

Democracy is always under assault by the very people who should be its staunchest defenders. In Ontario, Canada, we were saddled with Street Racing legislation (Oct. 1/07). The legislation was put to a vote on a fraudulent basis using cooked numbers neither the public nor the legislators had access to verify.

The legislation canceled the presumption of innocence until proven guilty. In effect if charged under this law, you are guilty until proven guilty for the simple reason that harsh penalties kick in immediately and are applied by a cop at roadside. The cop is also judge and jury in this case and when the case does reach court it's presided over by a Justice of the Peace who has no right to hear a federal constitutional matter. Even if the court finds the person innocent, the charges stayed or an acquittal is granted, none of the roadside penalties are rescinded. All the trial does is reduce the amount of the final penalty. Innocence at that point is only a word.

The police think it's a great law. The Gestapo would have agreed.

Presumption of Innocence is a foundational concept in Canadian and international law and is not something to be discontinued like an expired TV commercial.

That it happened is bad. But what's worse is that the public for the most part has been deluded into thinking this is a good law. There is no justification for this law and the potential crimes by police will generate stories that will make the recent Winnipeg police fiasco surrounding the death of Crystal Taman part of everyday life throughout Ontario.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:12 pm 

A while back I added the category "language" to Quoteland's database and started adding quotations. See what I've gathered at
http://www.quoteland.com/topic.asp?CATEGORY_ID=301
You might find something interesting.