QuoteMaster

:D

Who said it?

"Something good is going to happen to YOU!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:52 am 

The following is copy and paste from
http://www.ihcc.org/sermons/jeremiah/GR464.htm

Let me summarize this for you in a popular phrase of one of the leading false prophets of our day: "Something good is going to happen to you." The one who uses that line today did not originate it. He may have gotten it from the message of the false prophets of Jeremiah's day. Jeremiah was hammering away saying, "You are sinners, you deserve condemnation; God is going to judge you." But here comes the false prophet with his grin, "Something good is going to happen to you."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 1:13 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Something GOOD is going to happen to YOU! :D

The question remains open. Anyone who answers a triva question may post a trivia question. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:23 pm 

Oops, forgot to include that the person this is associated with is:

...the popular message of Oral Roberts: "Something good is going to happen to you"
http://www.scripturesforamerica.org/html2/jm0099a.htm

Darn. I'm not good at trivia. Who is credited with the expression:
"separation of church and state"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:47 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I am not sure where the statement about separation of church and state originated so I must be a dummy. 8O I also asked the Queen and she said that she did not know. Now the Queen ain't no dummy. Typically I can ask her a question and 9 times out of ten, she will know the answer. One day I asked her, "what does 87 octane gasoline mean?" She said that 87 octane meant there were 87 octangular units per molecule. She even knew how to spell molecule. Not only that, she has all her teeth in her head and even some gold crowns. I don't have all my teeth in my head because the Dentist had pulled some out when I was a kid (because the Orthodontist said that I had too many teeth in my head.) I also have two gold crowns. :mrgreen: Quotation Trivia for Dummies is mostly for college graduates who have a sense of humor. If anyone has all their teeth in their head then they may attempt to answer any triva question. If you don't have all your teeth then you can still answer a question. The topic was designed to offer light quotations that are more or less "common knowledge." I will put a 48 hour limit on each question.

Phantom of the Delta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:27 am 

Oh, well, if a sense of humor is required for this, then I guess I'm out.
Where did "this is another fine mess you've gotten us into" come from?
By the by, the "church and state" question, I thought, was going to be almost too easy. It was almost a joke, because I thought it was common knowledge. Oh well, that just means I've been at this too long....

First coined by the 17th century Baptist leader Roger Williams who, in 1636, founded Rhode Island, the phrase "separation of church and state" was used by both Thomas Jefferson and James Madison (the father of the Constitution), to describe the meaning of the Constitution's religion clauses.
~ Barbara A. Simon, Esq.

When they have opened a gap in the hedge or wall of separation between the garden of the Church and the wilderness of the world, God hath ever broke down the wall itself, removed the candlestick, and made his garden a wilderness, as at this day. And that there fore if He will eer please to restore His garden and paradise again, it must of necessity be walled in peculiarly unto Himself from the world...
~ Roger Williams

I contemplate with solemn reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.
~ Thomas Jefferson, Jefferson Writings, Merrill D. Peterson, ed. (NY: Literary Classics of the United States, Inc., 1984), p. 510, January 1, 1802 [letter to the Danbury (Conn.) Baptist Association]
http://www.au.org/myths.htm
http://www.noapathy.org/tracts/mythofseparation.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 8:22 am 

[quote="Phantom_Delta"] One day I asked her, "what does 87 octane gasoline mean?" She said that 87 octane meant there were 87 octangular units per molecule. She even knew how to spell molecule.
Phantom of the Delta[/quote]

ARGHH!!!
The scientist within me stuggled for eyars with chemistry to learn amazingly trivial facts about molecules.
Octane Rating is named after the organic chemical "Octane" that has eight carbon atoms and eighteen hydrogen atoms. Nonane has nine, Decane has ten, Heptane has seven, Pentane has five, Hexane has six. . . it's a Greek thing, you know.
The Octane Rating test uses a single piston engine to burn a particular fuel and the amount of that fuel used and energy generated for the test is compared to the burning of pure octane in the same apparatus. The results make all the different organic fuels comparable to each other on a standard basis.
It's a nice quote from the Queen that Octane has octagonal elements, but it's just not chemically true.
Sorry to be the bearer of such news and seemingly insignificant trivia.
But you know what they say: Beware of geeks bearing organic gifts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:23 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thanks for sharing that with us. I may have misquoted the Queen about what she said. It has been about 20 years or so since I asked her. She had taken organic chemistry during college. (The only chemistry I learned was how let the carbon dioxide off a keg of beer.) Since theno enlightened us on the answer to his quote then I will ask him to offer a new one. :D