Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:07 pm 

hey guys, I'm not very experienced but I'm looking for something to motivate me.

Quote:
Each painting has its own way of evolving...When the painting is finished, the subject reaveals itself.

that quote is so interesting to me for some reason. however I don't quite understand it.

can someone help me re-word it or something? what does it mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:37 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Sometimes when you write something, or paint something, you end up with a finished product that is nothing like what you had in mind, but at the end, the subject of the painting is still clear, even if it isn't what you thought it would be.

Take, for instance, a painting of a flower, you begin with the flower, and a back ground, but something seems missing, so you add a bee on the flower, and then you spend so much time on the bee that it seems real, it has become the focus of the painting, and the flower is a back ground, the painting evolved as you worked, and now when you step back to look at the end result, the subject that changed shows itself to you.

If that made any sense please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"The moment you think you understand a great work of art, its dead for you." Oscar Wilde

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:04 pm 

There should be an element of wonder in art. Like magic, it's secrets should never be fully understood. Once you know the magician had the card up his sleeve the whole time, all joy is lost. I once spent an hour looking at a painting that was hanging up in the hallway at my school. It was a forest. Each brush stroke was so random, and yet so deliberate. You see, it was put together like a highly pixelated image on a computer screen. Artists often paint like to make leaves in a tree, which are often messy; but this one did it for the whole thing. The ground, they sky, the trees themselves. If you got too close to the picture, everything blurred together, and you could only see a giant mess. But if you took a step back, you could see it for what it was - a master piece. I stared at it for so long, just thinking about how each stroke seemed so random at first, but must have been so deliberate in the end. When I finally felt that I understood the painting, I walked away. I made the mistake of killing the wonder behind the art, and in so doing, I have lost the interest that held me in a trance for so long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

How about retaining the wonder at the mind and skill of that artist, who could visualise where and what colour each tiny dot or stroke needed to be, in order to result in the glorious whole?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:05 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It is coded the paint is a symbol/sign of different people expressing their personality in different ways but at the end of all the expressions their character will be revealed...continue to ask wisely! :idea: