Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: ALONE...........
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:15 pm 

Can anyone help me find some qoutes for being alone??
id really appreciate it thanks guys..................... :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:10 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The path of the individual leads to the summit of Mount Solitude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:05 am 

Loneliness, desertion, a boundless, shoreless sea, on which no sail has risen for tens of years, do not many of our contemporaries live in such a circumstance?

To be irremediably unhappy—this is shameful. An irremediably unhappy person is outside the laws of the earth. Any connection between him and society is severed finally. And since, sooner or later, every individual is doomed to irremediable unhappiness, the last word of philosophy is loneliness.

The last law on earth is—loneliness...
RÊsigne-toi, mon coeur, dors ton sommeil de brute!
(Resign yourself, my heart, sleep your brutish sleep)

Lev Shestov
All Things are Possible — Apotheosis of Groundlessness —
http://shestov.by.ru/all/all_4.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:39 am 

If you are afraid of loneliness, don't marry.

Anton Chekhov

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Life is full of misery, loneliness, and suffering - and it's all over much too soon.
-- Woody Allen (1935 - )

Pray that your loneliness may spur you into finding something to live for, great enough to die for.
-- Dag Hammarskjold (1905 - 1961)

One's need for loneliness is not satisfied if one sits at a table alone. There must be empty chairs as well.
-- Karl Kraus (1781 - 1832)

At the innermost core of all loneliness is a deep and powerful yearning for union with one's lost self.
-- Brendan Francis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:37 pm 

I see that "Solitude" is not one of the topics in the Subject Index.
Here are a bunch on "solitude" that I gathered from a discussion thread on another quotation website. (this first one was my contribution)

Who knows what true loneliness is—not the conventional word, but the naked terror? To the lonely themselves it wears a mask. The most miserable outcast hugs some memory or some illusion. Now and then a fatal conjunction of events may lift the veil for an instant. For an instant only. No human being could bear a steady view of moral solitude without going mad.
~Joseph Conrad (1857–1924), Under Western Eyes, pt. 1, ch. 2 (1911)

"If from Society we learn to live,
'Tis Solitude should teach us how to die;
It hath no flatterers"
~Lord Byron.

Conversation enriches the understanding; but solitude is the school of genius.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Solitude must be that of a caterpillar that transforms itself to become a butterfly; coming out of the cocoon without wings makes the exercise a waste of time.
~ unknown

"Solitude is the profoundest fact of the human condition. Man is the only being who knows he is alone"
~Octavio Paz.

"We're all of us sentenced to solitary confinement inside our own skins, for life.
~Tennessee Williams

Little do men perceive what solitude is, and how far it extendeth. For a crowd is not company, and faces are but a gallery of pictures, and talk but a tinkling cymbal, where there is no love.
~Francis Bacon (1561-1626).

The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.
~Pearl Buck (1892-1973)

You must have a room, or a certain hour or so a day, when you don’t know what was in the newspapers that morning, you don’t know who your friends are, you don’t know what anybody owes you. This is a place where you can simply experience and bring forth what you are and what you might be. This is the place of creative incubation. At first, you may find that nothing happens there. But if you have [such] a sacred place and use it, something eventually will happen.
~Joseph Campbell

If you hate solitude, avoid marriage.
~Anton Chekhov (1860-1904).

Alone, alone, all, all alone,
Alone on a wide wide sea!
And never a saint took pity on
My soul in agony.
~Samuel Taylor Coleridge (1772-1834). The Rime of the Ancient Mariner (1798)

There are days when solitude is a heady wine that intoxicates you with freedom, others when it is a bitter tonic, and still others when it is a poison that makes you beat your head against the wall.
~Colette (1873-1954). French novelist.

We live, as we dream — alone.
~Joseph Conrad (1857-1924). Heart of Darkness (1902)

The deepest need of man is the need to overcome his separateness, to leave the prison of his aloneness.
~Eric Fromm (1900-80); German-born U.S. psychoanalyst and philosopher. The Art of Loving (1956)

"I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude."
~ Henry David Thoreau

In solitude especialy do we begin to appreciate the advantage of living with someone who can think.
~ Henry David Thoreau

And I was taught to feel, perhaps too much, the self-sufficing power of Solitude.
~ William Wordsworth, (1770-1850) from The Prelude

"Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god."
~ Aristotle

"The more powerful and original a mind, the more it will incline towards the religion of solitude."
~ Aldous Huxley

"Language... has created the word "loneliness" to express the pain of being alone. And it has created the word "solitude" to express the glory of being alone."
~ Paul Johannes

"When we cannot bear to be alone, it means we do not properly value the only companion we will have from birth to death - ourselves."
~ Eda LeShan

To be exempt from the passions with which others are tormented, is the only pleasing solitude.
~ Joseph Addison

The right to be alone -- the most comprehensive of rights, and the right most valued by civilized man.
~ Louis D. Brandeis

Solitude is painful when one is young, but delightful when one is more mature.
~ Albert Einstein

There is convincing evidence that the search for solitude is not a luxury but a biological need. Just as humans posses a herding instinct that keeps us close to others most of the time, we also have a conflicting drive to seek out solitude. If the distance between ourselves and others becomes too great, we experience isolation and alienation, yet if the proximity to others becomes too close, we feel smothered and trapped.
~ Jeffrey Kottler

It is in deep solitude that I find the gentleness with which I can truly love my brothers. The more solitary I am the more affection I have for them…. Solitude and silence teach me to love my brothers for what they are, not for what they say.
~Thomas Merton

"Make your ego porous. Will is of little importance, complaining is nothing; fame is nothing. Openness, patience, receptivity, solitude is everything."
--Rainer Maria Rilke (1875-1926)

"A good marriage is that in which each appoints the other guardian of his solitude."
--Rilke, Letters