Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Great Quotes Any one?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

8) These are some good, great and awesome quotes Eojoi!
:mrgreen: Everything happens to everybody sooner or later if there is time enough.
[color=darkred]George Bernard Shaw[/color]
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week.
[size=18][color=red]George Bernard Shaw[/color][/size]
A life awspent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
[size=18][size=24][color=orange]George Bernard Shaw[/color][/size][/size]
I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation.
[size=18][size=7]George Bernard Shaw[/size][/size]
If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.
[size=24]George Bernard Shaw[/size]
Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it.
[size=18]George Bernard Shaw[/size]
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact than a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
[size=18]George Bernard Shaw[/size]
There are two tragedies in life. One is not to get your heart's desire. The other is to get it.
[size=18][size=12]George Bernard Shaw, "Man and Superman" (1903), act 4[/size][/size]
Silence is the most perfect expression of scorn.
[size=18][size=9]George Bernard Shaw, Back to Methuselah (1921) pt. 5[/size][/size]
When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. [size=18][size=12]
George Bernard Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra (1901)[/size][/size]My way of joking is to tell the truth. It is the funniest joke in the world.
[color=yellow]George Bernard Shaw, John Bull's Other Island (1907) act 2[/color]
For the sword outwears its sheath,
And the soul wears out the breast,
And the heart must pause for breath,
And love itself have rest.
[size=12][color=darkred]Lord Byron [/color][/size]
How sweet and soothing is this hour of calm! I thank thee, night! for thou has chased away these horrid bodements which, amidst the throng, I could not dissipate; and with the blessing of thy benign and quiet influence now will I to my couch, although to rest is almost wronging such a night as this.
[color=red][size=18]Lord Byron[/size][/color]
Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine.
[color=orange][size=12]Lord Byron[/size][/color]
Historians are like deaf people who go on answering questions that no one has asked them.
[color=brown]Leo Tolstoy[/color]
In the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you.
[color=green]Leo Tolstoy[/color]
All power corrupts, but we need the electricity.
[color=olive]Unknown[/color]
Anyone who uses the phrase 'easy as taking candy from a baby' has never tried taking candy from a baby.
[color=cyan]Unknown[/color]
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
U[color=blue]nknown[/color]
Don't worry if you're a kleptomaniac, you can always take something for it.
[color=darkblue]Unknown[/color]
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
[color=indigo]Unknown[/color]
It's hard to be nostalgic when you can't remember anything.
[color=green]Unknown[/color]
People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
[color=indigo]Unknown[/color]
What if this weren't a hypothetical question?
[color=black]Unknown[/color]
And remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
[color=red][color=#444444]Unknown, Buckaroo Banzai, from the film[/color][/color]
Oh, come on. If you can't laugh at the walking dead, who can you laugh at?
[color=yellow]Unknown, Dan Fielding in "Night Court"[/color]
[color=orange][color=darkred] :lol: :lol: [color=orange][color=brown]Transported to a surreal landscape, a young girl kills the first woman she meets and then teams up with three complete strangers to kill again [/color][/color]:lol: . [/color][/color]
[size=18]Unknown, Marin County newspaper's TV listing for "The Wizard of Oz[/size]"
All general statements are false.
[color=cyan]Unknown, The Ultimate Law[/color]
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
[color=indigo]Unknown, quoted by Jim Horning[/color]
They certainly give very strange names to diseases.
[color=green]Plato[/color]
The hour of departure has arrived, and we go our ways - I to die, and you to live. Which is better God only knows.
[color=olive]Plato, Dialogues, Apology[/color]
I have hardly ever known a mathematician who was capable of reasoning.
[color=green]Plato, The Republic[/color]
Americans will put up with anything provided it doesn't block traffic.
[color=darkblue]Dan Rather[/color]
Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people.
[color=yellow]William Butler Yeats[/color]
When you close your doors, and make darkness within, remember never to say that you are alone, for you are not alone; nay, God is within, and your genius is within.
[color=brown]Epictetus[/color]
Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.
[size=18][size=12][color=red]Friedrich Nietzsche[/color][/size][/size]-this guy is very cool 8)
[size=12]Our Human Rights
And lefts, for that matter. [/size]
There's a tobacco company that uses the slogan, "Veni. Vidi. Vici." That's Latin for, "I came. I saw. I conquered." Julius Caesar said it after he kicked some army's butt. Seem like kind of an unfriendly thing for a company to say?
Imagine that meeting. Bunch of guys sitting around a table going, "We need a slogan. Something that really speaks to the public."
"How about, 'We rode into town on horseback, hacked everyone up with swords, and then burned their houses to the ground?'"
"Nah, too long. How about, 'I came. I saw. I conquered?'"
"Oh yeah, that's real nice. But let's do it in Latin. 'Cause Latin's like, way classier n' junk."
[color=orange]Their Wallets
Whose face is on a gazillion dollar bill? [/color]
How can we put this?
You know those music videos that show hip-hop artists dripping in diamonds and gold and throwing fat wads of cash out the windows of their stretch SUVs like confetti while rhyming about fat wads of cash and giving fat wads of cash to strangers and thinking about all the fat wads of cash they make and how bad they are with all their fat wads of cash?
The tobacco industry could afford to buy any of those hip-hop artists, all their stuff, and all their family's stuff, and then buy them all new stuff, and send them and all their new stuff on a brand new private jet to an island nation.
Then they could buy that island and pay the artists to sing Irish folk songs until their vocal cords exploded. And they'd still turn a profit that week.
And those hip-hop guys can brag all they want about killing people. The tobacco industry makes a product that kills 1,200 people in the U.S. every day. Tell that to your parents the next time they hassle you about your musical choices.

[color=red][size=18]Wallpaper
Fun with mind control. [/size][/color]
Wallpaper's always there. It doesn't make a noise or move or anything. It just sits there on your desktop - staring at you. Observing your every mouse click. Watching you. Judging you silently like a damned silent, judgmental thing. Getting inside your brain with its patient, persistent patterns until you're lulled into painless submission. And ours are way cool.[size=12][/size]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:39 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"Never grab the sh-- end of a stick."

A book by Kathleen Meyer

Post subject: Dare Devil?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:56 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I just got back from the movie theatre (it is a paid holiday for me. :D ) Anyway, I took my teen aged kids to see the Dare Devil. It was a noctch above Spider Man and the action was incredible. The movie starts out as a narrative and ends as a narrative. The events take place in "Hell's Kitchen." At the end of the movie there is a really poetic line that is spoken by the narrator. I forgot everything he said but the statement ends with, "I am the guardian devil." That is really poetic for 'Hell's Kitchen."

... and I am the guardian devil.

I reckon I'll have to go see it again because I enjoyed it and I also want to remember the last line because it makes a remarkable quotation.

Some other lines that I can remember

"a man without fear is a dangerous animal."

"How do you stop a man without fear?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:26 pm 

The critics here in SF panned it, but the ads look great. Based on your review and the fact that you would see it again, I'm sold. I'll have to check it out.

Daredevil -- also known as the Man Without Fear
http://www.nlgaming.com/media%5CXbox%5C ... index.html
A man without fear is a man without hope, Matt is told by his neighborhood priest, Father Everett (Derrick O'Connor).

"A man without fear is dangerous; even the Gods know fear."
~from Aesculapius by Madhuram Nagarajan
http://www.freshlimesoda.com/fiction/ma ... arajan.htm

"...I know you're mad as all hell, but you can't let the anger control you."
There is no response forthcoming as Daredevil's head lowers slightly.
"Matt...?"
Then, Peter Parker, the amazing Spider-Man, sees it. The quiver of Matt Murdock's lip, the wetness appearing on his cowl beneath the eyeslits. He puts his other hand on Matt's free shoulder.
"Sometimes, you just gotta let it out."
He falls to the ground, and Peter Parker watches as a devil cries. For not even a man without fear is a man without emotion.
~ "SILENT NIGHT" Starring Daredevil By Dino Pollard
from Issue #31, Marvel 2000 Presents....
"THE SECOND ANNUAL M2K HOLIDAY SPECIAL"
http://www.digitallymystic.com/sites/fi ... /MF31.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:34 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

:evil: Yes, Dare Devil Is an awesome Movie :!: :!: I just saw it last night . unfortunately i don't remember the las treally good quote but i remember sitting in the theater thinking "That's a really good quote!" :evil: REMEMBER: DON'T LEAVE UNTIL AFTER THE CREDITS! THERE IS AN EXTRA SCENE WITH BULL'S EYE! :evil: