Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Group quote
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:09 pm 

Does anyone know of a quote that concerns a group ? And if so does anyone know a quote that concerns a group and seems to be fictional ? Like a quote that could refer to a group of fantasy characters ?

MOOO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:52 pm 

In the late thirteenth-century German poem, The Ladies Tournament, a group of fictional ladies disputes the relationship of men's and women's honour. The 'daring woman' claims that there is no difference, that women should bear arms and seek fame in war and sport. She convinces the others to take part in a military tournament in which each woman takes the name of a favoured male knight. The males debate how to react: one argues for wife-beating, saying, `[i]f women elect to go jousting, men will have to run the household'. Sarah Westphal-Wihl comments: `His anxiety comes remarkably close to the realization that the division of labor by sex is not a biological specialization but a social convention dividing men and women into two reversible categories'. The possibility of upsetting the social order explains both the fascination and horror with which medieval writers held the possibility of women in the military.
~James M. Blythe, "Women in the Military"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:26 pm 

Thanks for letting me know, but that wasnt what I had in mind. I was thinking of a shorter, non sexist quote that deals with a fictional group.

MOOO!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 7:46 pm 

Um, sorry, I guess I don't understand the question. You want a quote about The Outsiders or the X-Men or Lord of the Flies or Gulliver's Travels?

American Way: Is old age something you have considered writing about?
Robertson Davies: That's what my next novel is going to be about. ... First of all there was Murther & Walking Spirits and The Cunning Man. This will be the third in that group. Written about some of the same characters and a lot of new ones.
American Way: That would be your fourth published trilogy. Did you just fall into this business of writing trilogies, or has that been part of a larger plan?
Robertson Davies: It just developed. You get interested in a group of characters and you think, You know, I really want to explore more of that. And, so, you do it. But I never begin with the idea that I'm writing the first book of a trilogy.
~from an interview, American Way with Robertson Davies
http://www.amk.ca/davies/cover_jan96.html

Doubtless the main difference between the novel and the romance is the way in which they view reality. The novel renders reality closely and in comprehensive detail. It takes a group of people and sets them going about the business of life. We come to see these people in their real complexity of temperament and motive. Character is more important than action or plot, and probably the tragic or comic actions of the narrative will have the primary purpose of enhancing our knowledge of and feeling for an important character, a group of characters, or a way of life.... By contrast the romance, following distantly the medieval example, feels free to render reality in less volume and detail. It tends to prefer action to character, and action will be freer in a romance than in a novel, encountering, as it were, less resistance from reality.
~Richard Chase (b. 1914), U.S. educator, critic. The American Novel and Its Tradition, ch. 1, Doubleday (1957).
http://www.bartleby.com/66/33/11433.html