Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 9:13 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Excellent contribution, Mr. Fussbudget, and thanks for reminding me there IS a noble source of inspiring quotations in 2002 in President Carter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Luna wrote:
I like it for its rare, refreshing directness in an era of numbing Orwellian newspeak and because I believe the role of journalism in democracy is to question relentlessly.

I'll call that and raise you. It's the duty of every citizen of a democracy to question relentlessly.

I'll settle for having two of every dozen people I meet know the name of their congressman.

— Bill Mauldin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:31 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I hereby nominate a passionately eloquent quote concerning education from my very own governor, James McGreevey of New Jersey. In his oratorical splendor our esteemed chief executive enunciated the following gem:

"If a child can read, the world is an open book. But if they can't read, that child will never reach his or her potential. And if they don't make it, neither will the rest of us."

I am offering one lollipop for every noun that can be properly matched with a pronoun.

— Bill Mauldin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:00 am 

[quote="thenostromo"]Wow. What an amazing quote. Interesting.
Here's another I'd like to submit:

"There are a lot of heroes. If you look at the heroes in your life, if you look at heroes in hockey, all the people who have big hearts that do what they do, people who do things for other people because they want to help because of their heart. I think they are all heroes.
I don't think athletes should be heroes. They play a game that they love and most of them get paid a lot of money. While some athletes do things to help the community, they don't do as much as other people in regular life. Those are the people who should be heroes."
~Peter Bondra, hockey player for the Washington Capitals
This is two quotes combined from the article
[b]Searching For Heroes[/b] By Jodi Cramer
August 29, 2002
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/020829/23/omis.html[/quote]

hey .. im relatively new to this so bare with me!

That quote was so amazing and really touched me, recently there was a fatal car crash in my neighbouring surburbs and eventhough the car was on fire some gentlemen still tried to get this man out although he could see he was unconcious,
people like Kathy freeman, andre agassi amaze me for they have great skill in there chosen sport due to hard work and training, but people in general amaze me (like thAt gentleman in my story) because they have hearts of gold and have respect for human life which can not be taught or trained to do. That is what truly amazes me.