Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:48 pm 

Help! I need a non-secular holiday quote and I can't find one anywhere!

Post subject: Christmas?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:04 pm 

That is kinda difficult because Christmas in itself is religous in origin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 1:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Christmas is a holiday that persecutes the lonely, the frayed, and the rejected.
-- Jimmy Cannon

Holidays are an expensive trial of strength. The only satisfaction comes from survival.
-- Jonathan Miller

Thanksgiving is a typically American holiday...The lavish meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the result and reward of production.
-- Ayn Rand

Thanksgiving Day is a day devoted by persons with inflammatory rheumatism to thanking a loving Father that it is not hydrophobia.
-- H.L. Mencken

Next to a circus there ain't nothing that packs up and tears out faster than the Christmas spirit.
-- Kin Hubbard (1868 - 1930)

On Thanksgiving Day all over America, families sit down to dinner at the same moment - halftime.
-- Unknown

...or did you want positive holiday quotes? That gets a bit more difficult since, as voyager mentioned, they tend to lean toward the religious.

We have an old holiday special featurewith a few more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 7:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Er, as a little voice just whispered in my ear... did you really mean non-secular? That would basically mean religious...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 9:31 am 

Good catch. That one went right over my head...

secular: of or relating to the worldly or temporal, not overtly or specifically religious

The Court explicitly noted that even the display of a menorah alongside a Christmas tree might raise additional constitutional questions if located in a public school.
http://laws.lp.findlaw.com/5th/9740429.html

Off topic, but what the heck:
Subculture: A sub-group within a culture with traits that distinguish it from the larger culture. Some examples of subculture in American Society are Amish, gays, clergy, Christian Coalitions, Nation of Islam, etc. Secular and religious holidays reflect the variety of subcultures in America. African-Americans celebrate Kwanzaa; Jews, Hanukkah; and Muslims, Ramadan. The Army is a subculture too. It is distinguished by distinctive uniforms, appearance, customs and courtesies, and military jargon. Since many soldiers come from subcultures within the larger society, the need for understanding and respect is obvious.